Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

freezing up

Best Answer phillpower2 , 18 August 2015 - 04:29 PM

Speccy says you are using an ethernet connection, is that correct. I ask as you have wi-fi available.  Download and run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal (MCPR) tool:Download the M... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

lynyona

lynyona

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi my first visit here 

recently my computer has been playing up . when I go on any web pages its like it is waiting before it loads the page  . before I can scroll through and on other pages it wont scroll through at all and recover webpage comes up then a box comes up checking internet explorer recover page doesn't do anything except refresh  and it still doesn't work Any ideas please

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   lynyona,

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

lynyona

lynyona

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thank you bear with me I am not very computer savvy   htpp.speccy.pinform.com/results/2xjGE17ro0gRAoAWtuDja2 was hoping I could copy and paste it but it wouldn't let me do it

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No worries but that is not the url that we need I`m afraid  :(

was hoping I could copy and paste it but it wouldn't let me do it

Can you tell me what you did and what happened.

Normally a single left click to highlight the url and then right clicking copy does the trick, see if the attachment I have included helps.

lynyona

lynyona

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

hi I do exactly as in your attachment get the same screen click left as suggested to highlight then right click copy but no paste option is highlighted does nothing

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Are you trying to right click paste into your reply here at GTG.

lynyona

lynyona

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

yes

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks for clarifying  :thumbsup:

Couple of questions if I may;

What anti virus protection and browser are you using (I note that you have mentioned IE in your OP)

Have you tried any other browsers other than what you are using.

Please do the following for us;

Can you post an expanded screenshot of Disk Manager which you can access by pressing the WIN and X  keys together on your keyboard, alternatively from Windows 8.1 update you can right-click with the mouse or stylus on the Start button to bring up the menu. 

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

For Speccy, can you type out the URL? The one you typed in earlier is invalid so it's not complete.

lynyona

lynyona

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

disk managment.jpg

Htpp://speccy.pinform.com/resultsWc4Y0doWxgKkelpTUSZpy5t

I am using MacAfee livesafe and internet explorer not sure what version it is haven't tried any others .I have scanned and malware checked picked nothing up. This windows 8 is a lot more difficult to grasp than my windows 7 was lol.

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Hello lynyona,

You see Htpp://speccy.pinform.com/resultsWc4Y0doWxgKkelpTUSZpy5t -->you provide this 

But generally it look like this, --> Http://speccy.piriform.com/acbfdfsdf

like the above, i highlight the wrong one with red color

Make sure you copy paste the right one, any doubt regarding this ask me.

Regards

Edited by Dashing star, 18 August 2015 - 05:52 AM.

lynyona

lynyona

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...t7HplfM3w8KM6uQ hopefully this is it  it wouldn't let me paste it before

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

For testing purposes uninstall McAfee and allow Windows Defender and Firewall to protect your computer, see my canned text below;

If McAfee is the free version follow the steps below, if a paid for product let us know first as you will need to make a note of the product key first in case you want to reinstall it in the future;

Download and run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal (MCPR) tool:

Download the MCPR tool from: http://us.mcafee.com...s/mcpr/mcpr.aspand save it to a folder on your computer.

Are you aware that Windows 8 and 8.1 both have an updated version of Windows Defender that offers the same real time protection as Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need third party AV protection and by not installing any you are reducing the possibility of potential conflicts and freeing up resources on your computer, information courtesy of admin here

BTW: Not sure what is going on with your Disk Manager screenshot as it is showing two identical (D:) Recovery Images  :headscratch:

lynyona

lynyona

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

My MacAfee is a paid one I have a retail card with a code on the back of the card I put in when I activated it. So should it be okay to uninstall it ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Product key information acknowledged  :thumbsup:

Something for you to try before uninstalling McAfee, Safe Mode with Networking, this will start the computer with only the bare minimum of drivers, let us know if you can access the internet without issue, steps courtesy of Microsoft below;

With Windows Start-up Settings (which used to be called "Advanced boot options") you can start Windows in different advanced troubleshooting modes to help you find and fix problems on your PC.

To get to Windows Start-up Settings in PC settings
  1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, then tap Change PC settings.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the bottom-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, then click Change PC settings.)

2. Under PC settings, tap or click Update and recovery, then tap or click Recovery.

3. Under Advanced start-up, tap or click Restart now.

4. Once your PC has restarted, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click Troubleshoot.

If you can't see the Start-up Settings option, tap or click Advanced options.

5. Tap or click Start-up Settings.

6. Tap or click Restart.

7. On the Start-up Settings screen, choose Safe Mode with Networking.

8. Sign in to your PC with a user account that has administrator rights.