Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No monitor signal

• Please log in to reply

scotty0709

scotty0709

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Just put a new build together: http://uk.pcpartpick...09/saved/9M4Qzy

However when I switch it on I get no signal on the monitor. Everything else seems to be working: Motherboard lights up, all fans are blowing, optical drive works, LEDs on the keyboard turn on etc. No beep codes either.

The red light under "MemOk" blinks every 2-3 seconds or so, though normally only a continuous red light indicates a problem? (I've tried reseating the RAM & trying each stick separately regardless).

I do get a cycle of several Q Code numbers which seem to repeat themselves. I've looked up the ones which don't go by too quickly:

* 00: Not used
* 21: Memory initization
* 35 & 32: CPU post- memory initization
* 13: Pre-memory CPU initialization is started
* 15: Pre-memory System Agent initialization is started
* 00: Not used

Not sure if the above codes should be going in a continues loop. Is that normal?

I've tried a displayport connection from the GPU to my monitor, HDMI connection from the GPU to a TV, HDMI connection from motherboard to TV & VGA connection from motherboard to an old Dell Monitor (all I have available). Also tried the last two without the GPU installed. Each time there's no signal. Any ideas?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts

:welcome:   scotty0709,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with the new build  :(

The computer is not powering down which may suggest that there is no short circuit and that the CPU cooling fan is connected to the correct header on the MB, both are a good sign but unfortunately a bad CPU or CPU socket will often cause such behaviour as can an incorrectly fitted heatsink, painful as it is to say it but I must, using the Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU cooler from the outset was not a good idea, if in some way it is responsible for damaging the CPU Intel are not obliged to replace the processor.

Can I ask if the 8 pin EATX 12V power connector is securely in place.

I dont see a BIOS error speaker on your MB which would explain the lack of beeps, see attachment for the type of speaker that you should obtain;

JAFYI: It is always advisable with new builds to do a barebones set up outside of the case before fitting them into the chassis, this can save a lot of time and trouble by identifying any item/s of hardware that may have been DOA, please see my canned text below;

Remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the MBs video port, the screen, 1 stick of Ram in the A2 slot (the red one nearest the CPU) and the keyboard.

Connect and turn on the power and PSU at the wall socket and then press the MBs red power on button, if you get a display power down and then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component and be sure to ground yourself before handling any hardware.

Attached Thumbnails

• MB speaker.jpg

scotty0709

scotty0709

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I've purchased a Bios speaker and hopefully should get it in a few days. In the meantime I purchased a new set of Ram just to see if bad memory was causing the problem. Unfortunately it didn't make a difference. Ive also tried re-seating the CPU (checked both the CPU & CPU port for any bent pins etc, didn't see any problems), disconnecting all power connectors and pressing the Start button for 30 seconds (seen that suggested elsewhere) and I still have the same issue.

I still find the looping Q Codes strange so I decided to take a video of it to better illustrate what's happening:

I've also taken a few images of the motherboard just in case anyone spots something I may have missed:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the MBs video port, the screen, 1 stick of Ram in the A2 slot (the red one nearest the CPU) and the keyboard.

Connect and turn on the power and PSU at the wall socket and then press the MBs red power on button, if you get a display power down and then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component and be sure to ground yourself before handling any hardware.

In addition to the above, remove the CMOS battery from the MB before you remove the board from the chassis and only replace it when you are ready to test the board etc outside of the case.

Remove the after market cooler and use the stock one that was supplied with your CPU, be sure to clean off the present thermal paste atop of the CPU, you can use 90%+ Isopropyl alcohol for this which you can purchase from any good drug store/pharmacy.

Regarding the Q code, the behaviour is telling us nothing I`m afraid  :(