Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wifi Adapters - which one ?

• Please log in to reply

goodday

goodday

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I am going from a router in my house to a laptop in my shop which is about 80' away. My old laptop finally gave up, but it was working good before as it had a built in Wifi. My question is I am wanting to place a desktop computer that does not have Wifi in my shop and was wondering which Wifi adapter to use.

The 2 that I am looking at are:

1. TP-LINK TL-WN722N ----- here is a link to one listed for sale on Newegg: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833704045

2.  Edimax EW-7811UN 150Mbps Wireless 11n Nano Size USB Adapter ---- link:http://www.walmart.c...apter/17419471

Which of these 2 will give the best signal strength, speed, etc. or are there other Wifi adapters that are priced under $20 or so that are better?

Thanks ~ Dan

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Hello goodday,

I cannot speak from personal experience with either device but fwiw the TP-Link looks the better option if you read the Newegg reviews for both items, Edimax device from Newegg here as opposed to Walmart.

goodday

goodday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Phil,

Thanks for your input.

I talked to a tech person @ OfficeMax and he told me that the new "AC" technology is better than the 2 that I was looking at as far as signal delivery. He went back and looked at what he has in stock at my local store and said that the D-Link® DWA-171 Wireless AC Dual-Band USB Adapter was the best bang for the buck. Here is the link to it and it is on sale for $20.00 or so: http://www.officedep...1-Wireless-AC/

Do you or anyone looking on know about the differences in technology on the 3 that I am looking at?

Thanks for any assistance ~ Dan

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 636 posts

Hi goodday, 

I think you're mixing two kinds of products here. There is the normal Wi-Fi USB Adapter, that is sort of equivalent to the built in Wi-Fi from most desktops and are doing just fine. From this category you first linked to the Edimax EW-7811Un from Walmart (And phillpower2 found it for the same price at Newegg, which has free shipping too) that is a simple, good, and cheap device.

From the same category of devices the guy from OfficeMax pointed you to a more expensive option that has the newer AC wireless standard that is a whole lot faster than wireless N (Also on Amazon for a few cents cheaper). If you wanna spend more and enjoy faster speeds (Of course your router must also support the faster AC Wi-Fi, if not it is useless for you) then of course this is better. (Here is another option, for a little less, in the AC line, from TP-LINK)

But the TP-LINK device you mentioned (BTW for $5 less on Amazon) is a whole different category, it has a separate external high-gain antenna, and is considerably bigger, that will very much improve the network discovery range and stability if you are at a distance of the router/modem. So if you weren't getting a very strong signal due to distance you should consider this one as a better option. (Or a newer model of this kind of device, that is faster than the old one.)

Hope this helps.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Thank you Yisroel, nicely explained  :)  :thumbsup:

Also worth mentioning is to check that any potential purchase has drivers available for your OS goodday, what OS is on the desktop.

goodday

goodday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Thanks for the advice.

My OS is 7 Home Premium.

Your point about my router is probably correct as it is an old "extended range" TP-Link model TL-WR541G and I would rather imagine the AC technoloty is not going to work well with this old router technology. Having stated that ...... your suggestion of "the newer model (the 2nd of the 2 TP Link products mentioned) of this kind of device, that is faster than the old one."

Do you think it is completely compatable with my old router?

Thanks ~ Dan

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 636 posts

With Windows 7 all options should be okay from the driver point.

It is not as much of a compatibility issue then a waste of resources issue. Since all the newer Wi-Fi technologies are backward compatible, so the AC will also 'work' with your router, but it'll just function on the speed your router has to offer, making the AC technology useless.

there are four Wi-Fi standards out there. From old to newer B, G, N, and AC. Your router is working on wireless standard G, And all other options are at least N.

So in conclusion: All option will work well with your router. That newer model TP-LINK will anyhow give you an advantage with a stronger signal and reception.

goodday

goodday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Thanks for all of the information presented in a clear manner. 

I'm an old man of 66 years of age and have basically taught myself almost everything from beginning to use the computer to what little I know now, but I was once an Industrial Tech teacher so I guess I know how to teach myself and that is mainly by listening to advice from people like you........thanks again.

Dan

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 636 posts

My pleasure  :thumbsup: Glad to help.