Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firewalls: Free Zone Alarm OR Free Sygate

• Please log in to reply

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi there.

I had NIS 2000, and since I've tried to get 2004 Pro installed, everything went downhill and nothing got installed.

So, I got me Free AVG antivirus. Thanks to the people in chat room yesterday. Seems like it is a good choice. It found a trojan in zip file that Norton's AV didn't.

Now, I am on the search for perfect firewall. I have hardware firewall, which is Netgear router. I tested it on GRC.com and it works perfectly. :tazz: Now I want software one.

Which one is better Free Sygate or Free Zone Alarm?

Thank you. ;)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Both these are good and which is better is probably down to personal preference.

You could install both to see which you prefer, though only run one at a time.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Thank you. I got Zone Alarm. Loos like good software that I can play with to grant/deny rights, and a good compliment to my hardware firewall.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Thank you. I got Zone Alarm. Loos like good software that I can play with to grant/deny rights, and a good compliment to my hardware firewall.

View Post

The free ZoneAlarm is a very good choice. Used it for ages. You might want to look into using ClamWin periodically as it caught a few that AVG didn't catch. Just goes to prove again that not all apps will catch all the stuff all the time. Makes you go grrrr, but maybe some day they'll have a universal app or all these servers will go to doing all the virus scans and using SPAM blockers so we don't have to have so many apps installed tofight malware.

Ron