Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 dead USB ports

hardware USB Port Lenovo

Best Answer Roger Blair , 06 September 2015 - 12:02 PM

amarkkassery, I think I've got things fixed. I started having a variety of other problems, so I decided to restore my system. To my consternation, every reboot left me at a blank page where nothing... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Hello. I'm running Windows 8.1 on a Lenovo G700 laptop, and I'm having three related problems: dead USB ports, inability to boot from optical drive or USB, and inability to access the Lenovo website. I'm attaching a screenshot (thank you, “Speccy”) of my computer'architecture; more details are available if you want them.

Here (and I deeply apologize for the length) are the steps I've taken so far:

• Tried to replace a dead wireless mouse in a righthand-side USB port— wouldn't work;

• Tried the adjacent righthand-side USB port—still didn't work (Problem 1);

• Tried the lefthand USB port—the mouse worked;

• Went to bleepingcomputer.com for advice, and was told to clean out the ports with alcohol and/or air duster—neither helped;

• Disabled SecureBoot and FastBoot—no effect;

• Was advised to download Linux distro Fatdog64 and boot from that (to determine if my problem was hardware-related or Windows-related)(for instance, a FREE hardware—did so;

• Created USB stick of Fatdog64 using “rufus” and tried to boot from it—got “no USB boot option” message (Problem 2a);

• Created CD of Fatdog64 using “ImgBurn”and tried to boot from it—found distro was missing a file, so couldn't boot up;

• Downloaded Linux distro Puppy, created a disk and tried to boot from it—got “no CD/DVD boot option message (Problem 2b);

• Tried to access Lenovo support page in Firefox (my default browser), Chrome and IE11—got same negative result (could access index page, but nothing else—browser cycled until I stopped it) on all three browsers (only site where this happens) (Problem 3) (Note: the cleaning hint came from the Lenovo support site, which I could access through someone's blog entry, but not on my own.);

• Ran through my usual Saturday-morning ritual, and ran a number of free anti-malware programs: Windows Defender (my basic protection), Spybot Search and Destroy (including Immunization), Hitman Pro (which turned up a couple of “HKLM” registry keys that ”regedit” doesn't display), Trend Micro anti-virus, Trend Micro anti-rootkit, Kapersky virus removal tool, Superantispyware, MalwareBytes anti-virus, MalwareBytes anti-rootkit, MalwareBytes anti-exploit and Ccleaner (Note: I also have CryptoPrevent running)—aside from the aforementioned registry entries (which predated the current problems) and a few cookies, no problems presented themselves;

• Was advised to come here;

• Copied Puppy Linux .iso to USB stick; and

• Since I had rebooted several times, I again tried booting from USB stick and CD—same (negative) result.

As you can see, one thing led to another, so I don't exactly know where to go from here. Any help you could give (for instance, a link to a FREE hardware tester) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanceROGERPC.png

Advertisements

amarkkassery

amarkkassery

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Hi,

It is absolutely fine that you have detailed what you've done. In fact we appreciate that you have given more info than less.

Though these issues seems related, it might be best if we can rule out somethings. Can you please post your third issue (Lenovo support site not working correctly) in the Malware Removal section, using the instructions found on this page : http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

As for the other issues, I'll try to help you as best as I can.

Did WIndows 8.1 come preinstalled on your computer? (This is to determine if you have BIOS or UEFI) This is to try to fix the second issue (boot issues)

Regarding the USB ports issue, can you open up Device Manager (Press the Windows Key, Enter "Device Manager" (without quotes) and open it.) Can you expand all the items and post a screenshot (or a couple) of the device manager. Please do this once without USB device attached to the "bad" port, and once with a known working device attached to it.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

a quick thing to try to fix your usb problems is to remove battery and power lead, hold down power button for 30 seconds reinsert battery and see if they now work.

as to making any other changes or testing i'd suggest waiting until you've made sure the laptop is clean of any malware because making any changes can hinder the experts attempts to help clean your pc, then come back here where i'm sure amarkkassery or someone else will be happy to try and solve any problems you still may have, don't forget to post a link in your malware topic to this one and vice versa when cleaning completed and you post back here so the helpers can see what's been done so far.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 17 August 2015 - 12:15 AM.

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

terry_1966, I tried your suggestion--no luck.

amarkkasserly, I've submitted a post to the malware forum, as you suggested. My machine came Windows 8 installed; I updated to 8.1 myself. As for the screenshots, they're attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• With1.png
  • With2.png
  • With3.png
  • Without1.png
  • Without2.png
  • Without3.png

amarkkassery

amarkkassery

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

From what I can see, there seems to be a few devices that's not recognised (no drivers or incorrect drivers installed)

Under Other Devices, can you do the following for each "Multifunction device":

• Right click on the "Multifunction Device"
  • Click Properties
  • Select the Details Tab
  • Under Property, select "Hardware Ids"
  • Under Value, it should give you a few lines, all of which should contain "VEN_XXXX&DEV_XXXX". If they don't please post a screenshot of the values you see there.
  • Can you please provide those values for the Multifunction devices?

Can you also, please unplug all USB devices and give me those screen shots again. (Please make sure to click the little icon of a computer with a magnifying glass, "Scan for hardware changes" after you unplug all the drives.)

Also, are you using a USB hub?

terry1966: I agree with you that it's best to wait until the system is clean for sure, and I probably will not try to fix anything until a "All Clear" comes from that end; I'm just trying to diagnose the other problem as best as I can, without modifying the system (at least not by a lot !)

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

amark kassery, here are the screenshots you requested:

• The three shots of the Device Manager with the wireless mouse attached;
  • The three shots of the Device Manager without the mouse; and
  • The four multifunction device Hardware IDs (which look nothing like what you expected).

BTW, there are no drivers for any of the multifunction devices. Also, I don't use a separate hub; I plug everything directly int the computer.

Attached Thumbnails

• WithMouse1.png
  • WithMouse2.png
  • WithMouse3.png
  • WithoutMouse1.png
  • WithoutMouse2.png
  • WithoutMouse3.png
  • Multi1.png
  • Multi2.png
  • Multi3.png
  • Multi4.png

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

again something quick and easy to try until amarkkassery responds, looks to me like same 2 devices, standard usb host controller and virtual display wddm,

just uninstall all 4 devices, reboot and let windows find and reinstall them again with luck it'll install the correct drivers so they now work.

can you get to lenovo's web page here:- http://support.lenov...o-g700-notebook

amarkkassery

amarkkassery

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Sorry that I haven't responded in a while. I'm still waiting to confirm on the Possible Malware issue, you have been having. Hopefully, once that's all said and done, we can wok on this. Once that's done, and I still haven't responded to you, please don't hesitate to PM me. 

Regards!

Edited by amarkkassery, 19 August 2015 - 10:52 AM.

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

amarkkassery, I wouldn't be surpised if we're done. I'll let you know when that happens.

amarkkassery

amarkkassery

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Hi Roger Blair,

From what I infer from the Malware post, they have basically told you that the Lenovo website access issue is not malware related, and as you had mentioned, it seems to be more of a plugin issue. 

As such, let's try the following:

• Like terry1966 had mentioned, try uninstalling those four Multifunction Devices (right click on them, click Uninstall, (then check the box to delete any drivers, if there is an option) and click OK), reboot your computer and Windows "should" automatically install the correct drivers - just ensure that your internet connection is active.
  • After the restart, can you go back into Device Manager, and check to see if those "Multifunction Devices" still show up, like that? If you can see them (if nothing changed,) do let me know. Else, try connecting your mouse (on the "dead USB ports") and see if it works.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

just for info to those who read this topic.

https everywhere firefox plugin was cause of lenovo site problems.

roger's malware topic :- http://www.geekstogo...o-support-site/

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

amarkkassery, I uninstalled those four devices (there was no "dwlete driver" button) and rebooted; still there.there was no change--the devices wer

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

MF/v3DDKAdapterKmode --> shows Distec GmbH Data Display Group Artista Virtual Display WDDM 

and

mf\cc_0c0320 shows--> Standard USB Host Controller Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

The driver for second one is missing so that you unable to work with some USB ports. Right click on that Multifunction device and press update driver.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Give it a try,

I would recommend to install the 2 drivers from here:

http://support.lenov...nloads/DS037637

http://support.lenov...nloads/DS035917

And maybe also give the Lenovo solution center a try: https://support.lenovo.com/sg/en/lenovodiagnosticsolutions/tools/lscoverview       (it is possibly already installed), running the diagnostic from it.

Restart the pc after installing the drivers.

Regards

(credits goes to Yisroel) Thank you Yisroel.

Edited by Dashing star, 26 August 2015 - 06:07 AM.

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

DashingStar, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, neither of the drivers "took"--all my multifunction devices are still driverless, and the ports are still dead. The Lenovo service program didn't help, either--the portts did not show up in any of the hardware tests.  Sorry.