Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 dead USB ports

hardware USB Port Lenovo

Best Answer Roger Blair , 06 September 2015 - 12:02 PM

amarkkassery, I think I've got things fixed. I started having a variety of other problems, so I decided to restore my system. To my consternation, every reboot left me at a blank page where nothing... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

amarkkassery

amarkkassery

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Let's try a different approach. It's not something that I would normally suggest due to adware issues, but let's try to see if this helps. Be extremely careful, as you can inadvertently install unwanted software.

• Please read the following carefully, before continuing:
  • Download Driver Booster 2 here. Click on "Free Download". Click on the big green "Download Now" button. This should download the software.
  • Double click on the driver_booster_setup.exe file to start with the install process.
  • Make sure to uncheck the "Yes, install Advanced SystemCare Free", then click the big red "Accept and Install" button.
  • Driver Booster will now automatically begin to run, however your setup is not done yet.
  • Go back to the installer, wait for it to show a screen which says: "Subscribe to IObit newsletter and you will get:" with a big red Subscribe button. Do not click on that. Click on the "Give up my gift" link. Then click the big red Finish button.

• Now, wait for the scan to be completed.
  • Please list all drivers that it asks you to upgrade, here.
  • I usually click on the "Update All" button on top, however, please remember that some driver updates might cause issues with your system, so doing that is at your risk. If you just want to be safe, post the list of drivers it asks to update, and we'll try to help you get your issue fixed.

Advertisements

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

amarkkasserly, here are the four drivers that need to be (but have not yet been) updated:

Alcor Micro USB 2.0 Card Reader (Unplugged)

Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA HCI Controller--1E03

Intel® Management Engine Interface

Lenovo EasyCamera (Unplugged)

Which ones should I update?

amarkkassery

amarkkassery

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

I think, you should be fine updating all of them. Can you please go ahead and update them all. Then do a restart, and check the status of the "Multifunction Device" on Device Manager. Either ways connect your mouse to the "dead USB" and check if it works.

After that, open "Programs and Features" (Search for it in Start), and go ahead with uninstalling Driver Booster 2.

Edited by amarkkassery, 27 August 2015 - 07:49 AM.

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

amarkkassery, I have:

• Updated all four drivers;
  • Rebooted;
  • Tried the mouse--the two slots are still dead;
  • Checked Device Manager--results unchanged; and
  • Uninstalled Driver Booster.

What's next?

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Senior

• GeekU Senior
  • 1,101 posts

amarkkasserly, here are the four drivers that need to be (but have not yet been) updated:

Alcor Micro USB 2.0 Card Reader (Unplugged)

Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA HCI Controller--1E03

Here are the links to download those three drivers from Lenovo:

Alcor Micro USB 2.0 Card Reader

Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA HCI Controller

Go ahead and download those three drivers and try installing them.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

ok seems updating drivers doesn't do anything so lets see if we can rule out software and it being windows and drivers as the problem and confirm it is a hardware problem you have, not good news if it is though, would mean there is a physical problem that needs repairing to get them to work again.

• Was advised to download Linux distro Fatdog64 and boot from that (to determine if my problem was hardware-related or Windows-related)(for instance, a FREE hardware—did so;

• Created USB stick of Fatdog64 using “rufus” and tried to boot from it—got “no USB boot option” message (Problem 2a);

• Created CD of Fatdog64 using “ImgBurn”and tried to boot from it—found distro was missing a file, so couldn't boot up;

• Downloaded Linux distro Puppy, created a disk and tried to boot from it—got “no CD/DVD boot option message (Problem 2b);

seems you have tried to do this before using a linux live usb/cd before without much success.

now not having ever used fatdog64 (never heard of it to be honest) or using puppy linux for ages the only reasons i can think of why they wouldn't boot is because both distro's may not be able to boot with uefi and secure boot enabled, (assuming your laptop has a uefi and not a bios) so can you try again but this time use opensuse live kde from here, i know suse is signed and can definitely boot on a system with secure boot enabled. http://software.opensuse.org/132/en#

not sure exactly what you will see when you click that link it will take you to suse's download page and you may or may not see live kde listed, if it's not listed click on the link that says "Click here to display these alternative versions." in the box for alternative media underneath the default dvd download link.

click the live kde box and then the download kde button, when the iso is downloaded either burn the image to a cd/dvd or create a bootable usb drive with it.

boot from whatever media you create and check the usb ports now work, if they still don't work then i'm afraid it's looking like bad news and will probably need you to send it off to be repaired.

go into your bios/uefi first and double check all the settings in there and make sure nothing to do with usb is listed as being disabled there before booting the linux live media to check the usb ports.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 27 August 2015 - 03:37 PM.

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

yisroel, I downloaded the three drivers you mentioned and successfully installed two of the--the third was older than what I already had.

texrry1986, I downloaded your SUSE Linux and got it on a USB stick using "rufus." I was able to boot into Linux, where the two ports did work. At least we know it's a Windows problem, not a hardware one.

amarkkassery

amarkkassery

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Alright, let's check to see if this issue occurs in safe mode. Here' instruction on how to get there. Once there connect your mouse and see if it works on the "dead" ports.

Remember, you will not have access to the internet, while you do this, so please print a copy of this instructions before you start. Also remember a simple shutdown or restart should get you out of safe mode.

• Point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.
  • Under PC settings, tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.
  • Under Advanced startup, tap or click Restart now.
  • Once your PC restarts, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click Troubleshoot.
  • Tap or click Startup Settings.
    • If you don't see the Startup Settings option, tap or click Advanced options, and then tap or click Startup Settings.
  • Tap or click Restart.
  • On the Startup Settings screen, choose the Enable Safe Mode option.
  • Sign in to your PC with a user account that has administrator rights.

If it works on Safe Mode, follow instructions above to try to see if it works on Safe Mode with Networking option.

Edited by amarkkassery, 28 August 2015 - 05:53 AM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

texrry1986, I downloaded your SUSE Linux and got it on a USB stick using "rufus." I was able to boot into Linux, where the two ports did work. At least we know it's a Windows problem, not a hardware one.

that's good news then, so now it's just a case of finding out why they don't work in windows. :rofl:

are the 2 ports that don't work coloured blue, if they are then that means they are usb3 ports and not usb2 ports so it may mean there is a problem with the windows driver for usb3.

after following amarkkassery advice above can you run sfc /scannow command to check there are no problems with the windows files.

how to :- http://www.eightforu...indows-8-a.html

as an afterthought now you have the linux live usb made, you may want to keep it safe and use it for any online banking or financial transactions you may do, more secure than using windows os because nothing is saved to the hard drive, and of course it will always come in handy for ruling out any hardware issues you may have in the future too.

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

amarkkassery, I tried Safe , then Safe Mode with networking; the mouse didn't work either time.

terry1986, after I finished the Safe Mode testing, I ran sfc; it found a few errors that it couldn't fix, so I ran dism, which fixed all the known errors. I then ran sfc again, this time with no problems. I rebooted, and tried the mouse again--it still doesn't  work. As for the ports, I guess my eyes aren't that good because I can't discern between the black and blue markings; all I can say for certain is that the port on my laptop's left side does work, and the two ports on my laptop's right side do not work.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

ok lets see if this fixes your problem.

https://support.micr...n-us/kb/2830154

http://www.thewindow...working-windows

both links are guides to the same hotfix.

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

terry1966, I read the article. Since I run Windows 8.1 (not Windows 8), the hotfix doesn't applygdoing so made no difference--the two ports are still dead. 9YES, gested reistry key; . I did, however, add the suggested registry key. (Yes, I did reboot.) There was no difference--the ports are still dead.

amarkkassery

amarkkassery

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Hi Roger Blair,

Can you confirm that your PC is indeed a Lenovo G700 Laptop running Windows 8.1 x64? If so, please follow instructions below:

• Let's update your BIOS (Even if the version is the same as the one installed, let it install):
    • Download here.
    • Run it to update BIOS. Make sure you have nothing opened during this process, after that restart your computer.
  • Let's update Intel Chipset Drivers:
    • Download here.
    • Install the Chipset drivers. Make sure to restart your computer if the installer so desires, else wait.
  • Let's update the Intel Management Interface:
    • Download here.
    • Install the Management Interface.
  • Restart your computer
  • Check to see if the ports work.

If the ports don't work, download and run these Lenovo tests, and let us know if you find anything that it finds issue with.

Motherboard Test: Here

PCI Express Test: Here

Let us know.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

terry1966, I read the article. Since I run Windows 8.1 (not Windows 8), the hotfix doesn't applygdoing so made no difference--the two ports are still dead. 9YES, gested reistry key; . I did, however, add the suggested registry key. (Yes, I did reboot.) There was no difference--the ports are still dead.

sorry roger not fully understanding what you did here, the guides are for win 8.1 and need you to edit a registry key not add one from my understanding of a quick read. ok now see where you needed to add the registry key for the device before you could edit it.

did you follow the guides and change the reg dword data value from a 1 to a 0 as the guides suggested, and can you confirm the value is still 0 after the reboot?

Important  You must apply the following registry changes to resolve this issue in Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8, or Windows Server 2012.

Note In Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, you must create the registry key before you restart the computer (after you have applied this hotfix).

To enable the update for a specific device, follow these steps:

• Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. Or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.
  • In the search box, type regedit, and then tap or click regedit.
    securityshield.jpgIf you are prompted to enter an administrator password, type the password. If you are prompted to provide confirmation, provide confirmation.
  • Locate and then tap or click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\UsbFlags

• On the Edit menu, point to New, and then tap or click Key.
  • Type a name for the new key by using the following format:
    vvvvpppprrrr
    Notes
    • "vvvv" represents a 4-digit hexadecimal number that identifies the vendor ID of the device.
    • "pppp" represents a 4-digit hexadecimal number that identifies the product ID of the device.
    • "rrrr" represents a 4-digit binary coded decimal number that contains the revision number of the device.
  • On the Edit menu, point to New, and then tap or click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
  • Type DisableOnSoftRemove.
  • Press and hold or right-click DisableOnSoftRemove, and then tap or click Modify.
  • In the Value data box, type 0, and then tap or click OK.
  • Exit Registry Editor.
  • To enable the update for all the USB devices that are enumerated on the computer, follow these steps:
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. Or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.
    • In the search box, type regedit, and then tap or click regedit.
      securityshield.jpgIf you are prompted to enter an administrator password, type the password. If you are prompted to provide confirmation, provide confirmation.
    • Locate and then tap or click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbhub

• On the Edit menu, point to New, and then tap or click Key.
    • Type HubG.
    • On the Edit menu, point to New, and then tap or click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    • Type DisableOnSoftRemove.
    • Press and hold or right-click DisableOnSoftRemove, and then tap or click Modify.
    • In the Value data box, type 0, and then tap or click OK.
    • Exit Registry Editor.
    Note When the value of the DisableOnSoftRemove registry entry is set to 0, the system does nothing when a USB device is removed. When the value of the DisableOnSoftRemove registry entry is set to 1, the system disables the port from which a USB device is removed.

Restart requirement
    You must restart the computer after you apply this hotfix and/or the registry change.

also sorry but thought both guides were the same, but they are not the 2nd link edits the "EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled" and the above guide adds then edits the "DisableOnSoftRemove" dword from 1 to 0

think i'd follow both and change the values from 1 to 0 and see if things now work, but i'd follow 2nd guide first and test then do this one also if that didn't make a difference.

try first :- http://www.thewindow...working-windows

then this one :- https://support.micr...n-us/kb/2830154

Edited by terry1966, 29 August 2015 - 12:04 PM.

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Amarkkasserly, I downloaded and ran the three installers you recommended: the BIOS installer noted that I had the same BIOS as the one it had, so it exited without doing anything; the Chipset Driver installer ran normally; and the Management Interface installer found that I had a more recent driver than it did, so I aborted the installer. I rebooted the system and tested the USB and they were still dead. I downloaded, installed and ran the two diagnostic tests you linked to; neither showed any problems.

Terry1966, first, I deeply apologize for my inarticulateness. (I'm having a little trouble doing text editing with a touchpad instead of a mouse.) Here's what I meant to say: “I read the article. Since I run Windows 8.1 (not Windows 8), the hotfix doesn't apply. I did, however, add the suggested registry key. (Yes, I did make sure the value was zero, and yes,I did reboot.) There was no difference, however—the ports are still dead.”

Now, let me reply: I entered the second registry value, not the first; I skipped the first because the following didn't make sense to me:

On the Edit menu, point to New, and then tap or click Key.

• Type a name for the new key by using the following format:
    vvvvpppprrrr
    Notes

• "vvvv" represents a 4-digit hexadecimal number that identifies the vendor ID of the device.

• "pppp" represents a 4-digit hexadecimal number that identifies the product ID of the device.

• "rrrr" represents a 4-digit binary coded decimal number that contains the revision number of the device.

I don't know where to find these numbers—do you?