Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Semi-Freezes" in Windows 10 Pro

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

tennisboy,

Sadly I have not ever found a true fix.  I will still have occasional "everything's frozen except mouse movement" situation on my Dell Inspiron 1720, which is now running Win 10 Pro 32-bit after the end of the insider preview program.

Sometimes a reboot will fix the problem, but sometimes not.  It happens far less frequently at boot time but there are quite a few occasions where I boot up into "semi-frozen" mode.  The only thing I've found that I believe helps is "not rushing" the machine when it is booting up.  I let the disc activity cease once the lock screen is up, then I do the same again once the login to desktop completes.  This seems to help in most instances to prevent the issue from occurring right at boot time.

This issue occurs whether I am using the mouse pad on the machine or when I have an external mouse plugged in, which disables the mouse pad (which is a choice I made in the settings).  The behavior was no different when I didn't intentionally disable the mouse pad when an external mouse was present.

The only way I can gracefully get out under these circumstances is to hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, tab my way to the power icon, hit ENTER to get the power context menu to appear, use the up arrow key to select either "shut down" or "restart", then hitting ENTER to make that take effect.

This is really, really frustrating because one would not expect an issue with a pointing device, of all things, to trigger this sort of behavior.

If anyone ever finds a true fix I'm begging them to post it (and will certainly do so should I stumble upon same).

Advertisements

britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

tennisboy,

I have not yet had the time to try some of the fixes I've found, but apparently Win10 and the device drivers for the Alps Electric Mouse Pad don't play well together.  I did a search yesterday on "Alps Electric Mouse Driver Windows 10" and got a number of potential fixes back.

I used keyboard commands to get around the fact that the mouse pad itself was not working (and there is a keyboard command for virtually any mouse activity you can name) to determine what mouse pad hardware is on the cranky machine.

There have been a number of issues with Win10 and device drivers and this appears to be one of them.

britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

It appears I may have found something that applies to the Dell Inspiron 1720.  This Alps Electric Touchpad Driver from Dell for Win8 is functioning (at least at the moment).  Under all the other drivers I could never get the right click button to work and it is under this one.  This driver also has the option to enable circular/chiral scrolling and 2-finger zoom.

Also, if all else fails, and all you really care about is having a touchpad that functions pretty much as a mouse does without scrolling features you can just uninstall the existing device and the drivers for it.  When Windows is restarted it simply assigns it a PS2 mouse driver which does allow all point and click functions to behave normally (or at least they did on my machine).