Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet Controller

• Please log in to reply

unknownperhaps

unknownperhaps

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Ok i have an ethernet controller and all...i got it when i had sp1 and i did the update to sp2 and all...and my ethernet controller wont work so what i did was i removed it and i reintalled it...well searched for hardware changes and it showed up as ethernet controller #2...and it didnt read my drivers every time i tried to install the drivers it would say error cannot install drivers because the name already exists and all...and i did that a couple of times and its and linksys ethernet controller #8...i have the original cd with the drivers on it but it keeps saying that i cant install it...can someone please help me out?

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
does your ethernet controller show up more than once in the device manger? If it does than right click on one of them and select uninstall driver. Do this for all of the instances of your ethernet card. Then after they're all out of there, restart your computer and re-install the drivers from the original CD.

--Chris

unknownperhaps

unknownperhaps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I did that like atleast 10 times :tazz: lol...it doesnt help at all...it keeps sayings the drivers cannot be installed because the name is already in use as either a service or a service display name.

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Ok, try this. You said it wouldn't let you install the drivers because there was already a service or service display name with the same name right? Click on start then run, and type in (without the quotes of course) "msconfig.exe". This should open up the Microsoft configuration utility under the 'Services' tab, scroll down and see if you can find the name of your ethernet drivers, then uncheck the box next to it.

Now, restart your computer and try to install the drivers again.

--Chris

unknownperhaps

unknownperhaps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
O thnx! it worked...Wow u guys are great! lol...

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Glad I could help! I"m here anytime!

--Chris :tazz: