Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 upgrade failures

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

cigos

cigos

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

I have managed to download W.10 to my laptop with a little help!  However, when I tried with my desktop

I reached a point where a message popped up to say that the program was unable to download to my system.

I checked my updates history and found there had been 22 instances recorded where the Upgrade attempts

had failed.

There were no missing updates to download so I am wondering if anyone else has come across this.

Any comments would be appreciated.    Regards, Cigos

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I have managed to download W.10 to my laptop with a little help!

What exactly did you do? Did you use the MediaCreationTool to create a ISO, DVD or flash drive?

See here: Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation

cigos

cigos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

I used the media creation tool and found it reasonable easy to do.  Except for

the unfortunate bit of malware which GTG helped me solve.

Cigos

cigos

cigos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

I attempted via the 64bit creation tool to 'download to this Pc now'. If this helps.   Cigos

cigos

cigos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

I am now wondering whether I have grasped the question you pose.   On my laptop I created a USB to download Windows 10 but

this is not now available as I assumed it contained the malware which GTG helped me remove.

For my desktop computer I used 64bit creation tool and attempted a straight download to the pc.  This started OK but eventually

I got the 'unable to download Windows 10 to your system.' message.  Looking for a solution I wondered if I had all the relevant

updates which is when I found the numerous entries in the update history where the download of W10 had failed.

Cigos

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

The Windows 10 download failures in update history are normal, everyone has them.

Can you try the MediaCreationTool again only this time create a flash drive to install with? It will format the drive when creating it so no virus should remain.

You could also try these steps:

Before the next attempt, try doing the following (in no particular order after the backup is complete):

Create an image backup of your existing operating system to an external USB hard drive using a program like Macrium Reflect Free. If you don't have an external drive, get one as they are relatively cheap. A 1TB drive runs $50 to $60. Create the Rescue Disc that allows you to restore a backup is the computer will not boot normally, before you create the image backup so if anything goes wrong, you can recover in 20 to 30 minutes.

Check for updated drivers for your hardware at the manufacturers web site.
Disconnect everything except mouse, keyboard and display EVERYTHING!
Uninstall your anti-virus if it's other than the built-in Defender.
Uninstall your firewall if it's other than the built-in Firewall.
Uninstall any Start button programs like Classic Shell, Start8, also Window Blinds, etc.
Uninstall any theme modifications.
If you moved any of your user folders to another drive or partition, move them back.
See here: Successful upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1 with 'Users' in other drive!

If you  upgraded from Windows 8 or 8.1 and used EaseUS Partition Manager to change the partition structure, see EightForums for instructions on how to get your recovery partitions sorted, because the upgrade won't work otherwise.

Run chkdsk /r and let it start and complete on reboot.
Run sfc /scannow and see if it finds and repairs any system files.

Now try the upgrade to Windows 10.

Note: The above is a compilation of things people have done to get the Windows 10 upgrade to work for them.

cigos

cigos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

I have downloaded W10 to a USB stick. Apparently successfully as a window opened telling

me to have the licence number ready when I install.  I have attached a snip of it.

What is my next move, please?    Cigos

cigos

cigos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Sorry. I did not get the snip attached properly.

Attached Thumbnails

• Windows 10 USB.JPG

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Follow the direction in the link I posted in #2:

See here: Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation

cigos

cigos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Have tried to download Windows 10 from a USB created by the MediaCreationTool and when this failed I tried

downloading with the 64bit tool direct.  In each case the message came up, 'This computer cannot run Windows

10.'

My system is booted from an additional SSD which I installed.  Would this have any bearing?

Regards, Cigos

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

From the booted system, insert the flash drive you created.

Run setup.exe from that flash drive.

The Windows 10 upgrade will start.

All this is covered starting with Step 6 of the link I gave you. Have you looked at it, tried the steps it lists?

cigos

cigos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

I have run setup.exe from the flash. The upgrade starts and reaches 100% the

the message comes up 'This computer cannot run Windows 10.'

I tried all the steps you gave me removing devices and antivirus etc.

Whatever I've tried the same message comes up eventually.

I have plenty of space on the drives so I am wondering if it is deficient elsewhere!

Is there a specific boot I could try on the UEFI?     I am not too confidant in that area.

Regards, Cigos

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

I suggest you to read this article Windows 10 will not run on this PC

How to Check if Your Computer Can Run Windows 10

cigos

cigos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Following your advice I have used the threads where possible and the resulting messages are as attached.

I have checked my devices and all drivers appear up to date.

Quite confusing to me!   Regards, Cigos

Attached Thumbnails

• Good to Go.JPG
  • Command success.JPG

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you follow these instructions?

Can My Computer Run Windows 10?

To get a definitive answer if your current computer can handle Windows 10, you need to run the Get Windows 10 app. You know, that annoying icon that just started showing up a few weeks ago…Click the Windows flag icon you see on the system tray.
If you don’t see the Get Windows 10 app icon, read our article: How to Make the Windows 10 Upgrade Icon Show Up.

What is the make and full model number of your computer?