Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem/Router Replacement

• Please log in to reply

jbljohn

jbljohn

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Had a cable repairman in today and he advised I should replace my current Modem and Router (individual units) with a combination wireless Modem/Router.  He said I should get a D3 or a Docsis 3.0.  If I replace, how hard will it be to install this device and is there a particular brand I should go with?  Thanks!

Advertisements

nordvark

nordvark

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

What did he say would be the advantage of doing this? And where in the world are you?

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

My current router is a Motorola Surfboard 2.0.  I have a Belkin Access point for wireless connections.  He stated that it my current router would be obsolete in six months.  I am in South Carolina and he was a Time Warner Cable Service Technician.  

nordvark

nordvark

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Better not advise you as I'm in Oz and unaware of the setup over your way. I had a Surfboard and upgraded to a Docsis 3 modem some years ago, had to also upgrade my speed limited cable with my isp though. I will be staying with separate modem and router for as long as I can, meaning I can change my router whenever without the hassles I would have changing the modem. cheers