Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Meaning of those hourglass-like symbols?

XP status symbols

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

For a desktop witth XP ... What do you call those special symbols (icons ?) -- like the hourglass -- that appear from time to time, especially during booting? Can someone please point me to a site that explains what each symbol means? Thanks. ... batpark

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

There are hundreds, if not thousands of Windows XP system icons. The spinning hourglass icon simply means that the computer is busy doing something.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
Thanks. Is there aside that explains the most common of them?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Which ones? https://www.google.c...823._WfoHSDF7iA

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Spyware Dr.: Wow! I see what you mean. Thank you. ....batpark

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

:)

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

I (think) I understand what the XP hourglass icon means  --- the cpu is busy doing something other than the recent command; just wait a bit. Right?

What does the small circle with a line running from 11 to 5 o’clock mean? What to do when it appears?

Thanks.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Don't know for sure what you're seeing but, programs, apps, browsers, websites, etc. have the ability to use their own icons instead of the defaults. That may be what you're seeing. Some sort of a wristwatch(?) icon to indicate that the system is busy?

As far as what to do when it appears, is to try and be patient. A some-sort-of-"busy" icon is simply a way for programmer's to indicate that the system is busy doing something which may make it seem slow to respond to other of your commands. If there were no "busy" icon, many would think that something was wrong with their computer, like it was stuck/hung/in an infinite loop, and reboot or turn the computer off.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Doc: Thanks for your comments. The symbol I was questioning is not a "watch" but rather a small circle with a diagonal running from NW to SE. It spells some sort of trouble and frequently causes me to reboot. How does it differ I wonder from the more common hourglass symbol..

Inasmuch as the MS people include these symbols as "helpfu" indicators I would have thought they would have provided some descripion of their differing meanings. I haven't found that anywhere, including an 800 page (not very useful) book on XP in the Dummies series. ...batpark

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

In Windows XP, click Start, then Control Panel, double-click Mouse and select the Pointers tab. Down about half-way on the right is a small circle icon with a slash through it. To the left of that icon it says "Unavailble". Is that the icon you're talking about?

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Yes, the "Unavailable" is the one I mean. . What does the "Unavailable" mean? And  "Move" and "Precision Select." Did MS not provide descriptions? ... batpark

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Unavailable = not available

Move = to cause (something or someone) to go from one place or position to another

Precision select = not all cursors are 'accurate' at the hotpoint, but the precision select is supposed to be dead center. It can be useful for some doing drafting, drawing, graphics, etc.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
So there is nothing I can do when the Unvailable icon appears except wait?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

I suppose that would depend on what the icon is over, or what it is trying to indicate might not be available. It could be because access to whatever it is you're trying to do or access has been disabled, (i.e., not allowed).

For example, https://signsanddisp...bol-2.jpg?w=640 means no smoking.

Edited by SpywareDr, 20 August 2015 - 02:36 PM.