Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Certain Steam games cause pc to reboot itself (bsod error msg inside)

• Please log in to reply

byrath

byrath

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hello folks. I'm having a problem with a seemingly random selection of games on Steam. Immediately after hitting 'play', the pc goes to a full black screen for about a second, then it powers down. I was able to retrieve information from the bsod by following instructions to make it not automatically restart. The relevant information is as follows:

STOP: 0x0000008E

ati2mtag.sys Address B5F892CB base at B5F7E000, Datestamp 4E1677cc

Now, what I mean by random is that its not only older or newer games, nor graphically intensive or otherwise. Any given game will always load up fine, or never will.

Some basic system specs:

Win XP SP3

AMD Phenom II X4 840 Processor 3.20 GHz

3.25GB RAM (that sounds a little odd?)

AMD Radeon HD 6700

Driver Version: 9.0.100.9001

Driver Date: 12/23/2013

Let me know if there is any more info I can provide. Thank you. :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   byrath,

ati2mtag.sys Address B5F892CB base at B5F7E000, Datestamp 4E1677cc

The above suggests that the cause is your video card drivers but this would commonly result in a "No Signal" message being displayed on a black screen and not the whole system shutting down, can you post your PSU details for us, brand and model name or number please.

To see if this is a driver issue, restart the computer in Safe Mode with Networking and see if the problem still happens.

byrath

byrath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Thanks Phill, here are the psu details:

DiabloTek EL series 500 watt - model no PSEL500

I do get the No Signal message in a box on a black screen, but just briefly as the pc restarts.

I will try with the pc in safe mode with networking, after I get home from work tonight, and will report back with my results.

byrath

byrath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

After re-booting the pc in Safe Mode with Networking, the problem appears to have gone away. An older game loaded up fine, a newer one did not, but it did not reboot the pc.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome byrath  :)

Does your MB have an integrated video port, if you are unsure post the brand and model name or number of the board and we can take a look.

In response to your update/s, two things that need to be mentioned 1: Your PSU cannot provide enough amps on the +12V rail for your HD 6700, the card requires 24 amps whereas the Diablotek only puts out 17 amps. 2: Starting the computer in Safe Mode puts it under less load and therefore eases the stress on the PSU, it could be that the older game is less demanding than the newer one and therefore less obvious.

Once we have the MB details we will be better placed to suggest what you should check out first.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

byrath

byrath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Tip understood and duly noted. :geek:

I'm not sure about the integrated video port, so here's the motherboard information (hope this is what you need):

Manufacturer - BIOSTAR GROUP

Product - A780L3G

The Model field is empty.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Your MB details if correct suggest that it has integrated VGA and DVI ports, see here

Let us know if you are comfortable with removing the add on video card and trying one of the MBs video ports.

How to Install a Video Card in Your Computer

byrath

byrath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Removing the Radeon 6700 and booting up with just the built-in video?

I've got no problem with making hardware adjustments like that, just want to be sure that we're on the same page here.

Edit: Just remembered something that may be useful. This game, Avernum 6, has been running fine, but the other day I tried running it in a different resolution (ie. not 1650x1080) and boom, reboot.

Edited by byrath, 21 August 2015 - 04:11 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Edit: Just remembered something that may be useful. This game, Avernum 6, 

Your computer specs will cope without issue.

Stress test your system and in particular the HD 6700 using the free software here

byrath

byrath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Ok, I ran the benchmark with that program and uploaded the html results to tinyupload.

http://s000.tinyuplo...799652519034629

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Did the system shut down at all when running Valley.

As you still have the add on video card fitted we should take a look at the PSU output and temps;

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Please use the above method of attaching screenshots so as to avoid the need for anyone to visit third party web sites and potential foistware. 

byrath

byrath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Valley ran just fine, perfectly stable.

Speedfan results:

Fan1: 13rpm

Fan2: 2961rpm

Fan3: 0rpm

Fan1: 4530rpm

Fan2: 0rpm

Fan4: 0rpm

Fan5: 0rpm

GPU Fan: 0rpm

Temp1: 39c

Temp2: 43c

Temp3: 36c

HD0 :41c

Temp1 38c

GPU: 41c

Core: 31c

Vcore1: 1.39V

Vcore2: 1.14V

+3.3V: 3.30V

+5V: 5.00V

+12V: 12.29V

-12V: -9.40V

-5V: -5.01V

+5V: 4.92V

Vbat: 3.31V

GPU Vddc: 0.95V

hwmonitor.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

With the exception of one fan reading as running at 13rpm Speedfan and HWMonitor both show no problems with either temps or voltage, do however keep in mind that the computer is not under any load and the results will vary when it is, I would suggest that you do the following;

Take off the side of the case.

Do some gaming.

Take a look at how each internal cooling fans is behaving as in full speed, slow, intermittent,  etc.

Run Speedfan and HWMonitor again to see what is reported.

Please do not do the above if there are children or pets around and do not reach inside the case while the computer is powered up or connected to the wall socket.

NB: Off to work shortly and will not be around until around 9pm UK time this evening, apologies for any inconvenience that this may cause.

byrath

byrath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Sorry for the delay, been busy. I am running a fairly intensive game at the moment, current results as follows:

Speedfan results:

Fan1: 13rpm

Fan2: 2948rpm

Fan1: 3750rpm

Fan2: 0rpm

Fan4: 0rpm

Fan5: 0rpm

GPU Fan: 0rpm

Temp1: 38c

Temp2: 43c

Temp3: 35c

HD0 :38c

Temp1 38c

GPU: 56c

Core: 31c

Vcore1: 1.39V

Vcore2: 1.14V

+3.3V: 3.28V

+5V: 5.00V

+12V: 12.22V

-12V: -9.40V

-5V: -5.01V

+5V: 4.89V

Vbat: 3.31V

GPU Vddc: 1.10V

The only notable differences I'm seeing are GPU 41c -> 56c, and GPU Vddc 0.95V -> 1.10V

hwmonitor.JPG

I'll get that case open and check the fans manually after work.. thanks for your time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No problem and thanks for the update  :thumbsup: