Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3 Questions about hardware: Internal network card, external networkcar

Multiple question Internal Networkc External network card Unknown device Unable to connect to internet

• Please log in to reply

Fibien

Fibien

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hello support. 
I will post 3 problems, perhaps with correlation between but maybe not. If it's problematic I can make new posts with each problem separated. 

1:
1:st problem is with the internal network card.
Yesterday evening my internet started to go down at random and this morning I was unable to connect to the internet at all. I went and shopped new Ethernet cables Cat-6 to see if perhaps the problems was with broken cables.

I changed cables but was still unable to connect to the internet. 

Also, restarted the computer, modem, inactivated and reactivated the network card. Did not solve the problem. 

I called my ISP to see if the problem was on their end. I got in contact with a technician, and he checked the connection and find no fault. He told me to go to cmd and use the ipconfig /all command. My Ethernet connection had another ip address then the one given by the company and his conclusion was that it was a problem with the computer, perhaps the network card. 

My network at home is a modem, a cable through the wall to a connector, and a cable from the connector to my computer. I repeated the process with restarting, deactivation and activiation. This time the network card did not recognize my ethernet cable at all. tried with both cables same result.

I have been at the device manager and and drives seems okay and it does no mention any conflicts. 

Got any advice on what to do? How to troubleshoot? 

2:
I also bought a external network card (ethernet), D-Link DUB-1312. I installed it with the drivers on the included cd and after that plugged in the device. I hear the windows sound for when plugin in the device but it does not recognize the Ethernet cables either. From what I can see when I use ipconfig /all and from the fact that I cant connect to internet.  
I use Windows 10 on my laptop. 
I have looked in the device manager, the external network card seems installed and working. No conflict what I can see. 
Any advice on what do? And how to solve it. 

3:
The last problem might have a correlation with the first two. In my device manager I have a unknown device. 
The vendor is unknown,
Machine-id:
ACPI\VEN_SMO&DEV_8800, 

ACPI\SMO8800
*SMO8800

Through google I found that the device is a "Free Fall Sensor" from dell. I tried to update the drive through windows. And from this site: http://dellwindowsre...om/driver-sets/, "Free Fall Sensor – 4.13.61 (Windows 10)". Rebooted between and after installations but the device could still not find proper drivers. 
I have tried to remove the device and make windows detected. Did not solve to problem. 
Any idea how to install the drivers? And what drives might work?

--------------

I might to forgot to mention something and or add useful information. Please give advice how to solve my problems and I happily add any missing information or answer questions. 

Kind regards
Fibien

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

whether you recently upgraded to windows 10?

Go to device manager-->network adapter-->under that you have your network card named something like shown below-->

The-Hosted-Network-Couldnt-Be-Started-1.

Right click on this and select Update driver software. And lets see what happens?

Fibien

Fibien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hello, 

yes I have recently updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Maybe a week or so ago. 
I followed the steps and pressed update driver, both on the internal and external network card. Searched for drivers online, have internet through my phone, and got the answer that the drivers where up to date. 

I'm not sue if it had any relevance but when I go into settings -> network settings -> Ethernet. Below the Ethernet header there are two nameless buttons. I can highlight them but not do anything with them. If I unplug the external network card it is changed to one button. Still unable to anything with it but highlight it. Might be another problem or be a connection the current one. I attach a picture to make it more clear. 

Ethernet settings.jpg

If I go into  settings -> network settings -> Ethernet -> change adapter options, I see that neither of the network cards recognize the Ethernet cable. Tried to connect with both cards.

Network settings.jpg

I managed to solve my unknown device problem by downloading a find missing driver program and let it install the driver.  

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

I am really sorry for tell you to update driver for network card instead you have no internet connection.

Did you try to remove your network card and replace in any othe pci slots?

Network cable unplugged doesn't mean there is a fault in cable itself, it may be with improper driver and faulty card also.

I suggest you to check both.

Fibien

Fibien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hello, yeah I see the humor in asking for internet service when the problem is with the network interface card (nic).
Luckily my wireless nic works and through it and my phone I'm able to surf. Not a long term solution but through it I been able to look for new drivers.

I used when I searched for new driver, via device manager. It said that the drivers was up to date, and in the interface everything seems to be fine. 

I also uninstalled the drivers and installed new driver from the venderos websites. Still not working. 
Beyond that I don't now what to do with the drives.  

Like I said in my first post I bought new ethernet cables, it's not likely that both my new bought cables and old ones are broken so I think the problem is elsewhere. 

I honestly have no idea have to check if a network interface card is faulty, if I knew how to check for faulty drivers and nic I would probably help people on the forums rather than asking for help.
All I know is that the drivers seems okay and that the device manager says that the nic works. 

The frustrating things is that everything seems fine but it is not working. 
I'm using a laptop, when I cleared the fan once it was a 3 hour work so I rather open it up as a last option. Do you know any way other way to troubleshoot the hardware without opening up the computer?

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

I have to clarify my doubt that you said your wireless working?

If so check your internet by opening the web browser (disable wireless and connect wired cable), eventhough it  shows red cross.

Fibien

Fibien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Yes I said before, I can use my wireless nic to connect to my phone and through it connect to internet. So yes my wireless is working. 
I disabled my wifi and tried to surf with the ethernet cables plugged in, I was unable to connect to the internet. 

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Type ipconfig /all in command prompt and post result here.

Also download(it from working pc) and run(pc where internet not works) speccy in your pc and paste the link here.

Details here

Fibien

Fibien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hello again, and sorry for the late reply. 
After some troubleshooting and arguing with the isp they sent a technician to come on-site. The trouble was a the converter from fiber to ethernet. So now that it's replaced everything works as it should.  

Thanks for the support and this thread can be closed. 

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Thanks for Updating   :thumbsup:

Glad to hear your problem solved  ;)

Regards  :wave: