Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Am I a good candidate for this training?

• Please log in to reply

melodicdiscord

melodicdiscord

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I know this isn't the format that you requested, but before I fill out the application as outlined here: http://www.geekstogo...d-instructions/, I wanted to see if my intentions were in line with your school.

I am a music teacher, guitar and music production, with a strong focus on technology. I use computers with everything I do, and the longer I do this (a bit over a decade now), the more I use them. The deeper I get into using Windows as a teaching platform, the more I'm encountering malware/adware/etc issues. I use all paid software, except for when something free/donation will do the job better than something paid, or when a student cannot afford to buy something, I have many (legitimately, as in freeware, mostly from new developers or anyone trying to make a name for themselves) free equivalents I've found over the years. The issue is that unfortuantely these things sometimes come with adware/malware/etc and that cannot be known until it's too late. Also, I'm finding students who have slow systems from years of built up problems stemming from downloading who knows what and never updating anything, including antivirus definitions.

So, my motivations would be to protect myself and my students primarily, although I am a very helpful person by nature (which is why my primary income is from teaching lessons), and would love to devote some time to helping people in the forums, I just don't know how much I can honestly say I would be able to. Maybe one or two cases a week or something after my training was completed.

If I sound like someone who would fit with the intentions of your program, please let me know. If not, please let me know if you're aware of any resources for someone like me, a technology oriented music teacher, who needs to be able to solve problems for their own windows machines as well as students. Thank you for your time!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Hi melodicdiscord, and welcome to Geeks to Go! :D

I've removed the email address so spammers can't find it. 

These are the traits that we see most often in people who are successful in the program:

1. You've had help removing malware, were intrigued and wanted to know how you could help others do the same.
  2. You enjoy helping others.
  3. You enjoy being intellectually challenged and constant learning.
  4. You've befriended a community member, they've had great things to say and you want to become part of the community.