Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

after fan replacement, my laptop will not boot normally (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

I installed a new cooling fan in my HP pavilion dv7-6135 laptop. afterwards, upon startup, I get a black screen with the blinking cursor in upper left corner telling me to install an operating system. I inserted the win 7 64 bit disc and can boot from that and eventually get the comp running.

how do I fix this so the comp boots normally? its almost like the bios is missing? I also ran the diagnostic tests that the comp told me to run...no memory problems and hard drive passed tests also.

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Did you able to get into BIOS? by pressing F2 or F12 or Del key?

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

yes, its like the bios for startup is missing. it boots fine from the disc, just not the hdd

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

If I may chime in folks  :)

What is the boot order set as in the BIOS.

Boot from the Windows disk then grab a screenshot of Disk Manager for us and attach it to your next reply;

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.

2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small iconsview of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.
Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

here as a picture as you requested, I had to attach it

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture1.PNG

Edited by gregahoffman, 23 August 2015 - 05:23 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

The contents of the HDD are as they should be which hopefully is a positive sign.

What is the boot order set as in the BIOS.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

any ideas how to remedy this problem, or do I have to replace the hdd?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Can you tell us what the boot sequence is set to in the BIOS!

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

hard drive, dvd/cd, and I believe the rest are floppy & so on

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

That is also as it should be so can I ask if you can boot into Windows and then remove the disk from the optical drive, if the computer stays within Windows follow the steps in my canned text below;

To see if this is a Windows issue download then run the All in One Repair from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

Nothing to suggest that the HDD has issues at the moment btw but it would be prudent to back up any important data if you have not already done so.

Advertisements

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

so I should use the tweaking program to fix everything? or are there certain steps I should only do? I already have that program on my comp, I received the link earlier from essexboy when I had a malware problem

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

I ran the tweaking program twice as recommended. still am not able to boot from the HDD.

I still get the dark screen with the message - boot device not found please install an operating system on your hard disk (3F0)

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Did you have any option similar to ATA/RAID like that in BIOS? (please check one by one as it hide somewhere)

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

where would I look for that?

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Generally it is under Advanced option in BIOS but i am not sure where it was in your pc bios,

If the option is selected for RAID/AHCI or Hard disk is off state similar to below the hard disk will not boot,

2287.sata.jpg