Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

after fan replacement, my laptop will not boot normally (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

i'll try that next. I may have been confused....HDD is listed in boot order but it is not an option in F10? or is it F9? either way, there is only 1 entry there...DVD drive

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Apologies for the delayed reply  :(

Have you managed to try what I suggested in my reply #30?

HDD is listed in boot order but it is not an option in F10? or is it F9? either way, there is only 1 entry there...DVD drive

I suspect what you saw was how the HP BIOS chip has the boot order saved, this unfortunately does not mean that the BIOS is detecting an actual HDD on boot, if an actual HDD was being detected it would be identified as in the Samsung example in the attachment below, other brands such as Seagate would begin with the letters ST and Western Digital would be WD.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

sorry for the delay also, it gave me a 3f1 code, hdd not detected. I got ornery and tried a system restore as I have a 1tb external drive with my system on it. all went well with that and the system works great except I still have to boot from disc.  I also tried to reflash the bios with the f1.b from hp, no change.

I found donovans blog on the web showing how to disseminate the inside h2o bios, I may try that next as I already tried the f10 + a at startup which did not work.

I thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it.

guess I never thought this hp machine would be such a pain to work on

at least the fan is working again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No problem, we understand that you have other things to attend to :thumbsup:

I suggest caution where the BIOS is concerned as the potential to hose the BIOS chip is rather high, the fact that you got the HDD not detected message and a system restore from an external back up did not resolve the issue suggests one of two things, the HDD itself has issues or the BIOS is messed up, can I ask if the replacement fan was an exact like for like replacement, this in case it is in some way affecting the BIOS by disrupting any MB sensors.

I suggest testing the HDD with any diagnostic tools that the manufacturer may provide, can you tell us the brand of the HDD please.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

the fan was an exact replacement, it was a fan/heat sink assembly that is quite elaborate. the HDD is a Toshiba 750GB. I also have a Toshiba 1TB just in case I have problems with the 750GB. inside the laptop is an area to install the second HDD, I would need to purchase another cable to install it to the plug on the motherboard.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Fan details acknowledged  :thumbsup:

What about removing the first HDD and trying the second in it`s place.

Seatools for Windows can be tried for your Toshiba HDD

Edited by phillpower2, 04 September 2015 - 07:53 AM.
Correct link added.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

I ran seatools with no errors. always comes back as passed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
What about removing the first HDD and trying the second in it`s place.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

will that work even if the new HDD is blank? I have never put anything on it

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

The idea is to see if the BIOS detects the HDD as being there, if it does you can install Windows and the notebooks drivers to it and before going to the trouble of installing all of the Windows 7 updates restart the notebook and see if it boots from the HDD.

The Windows 7 installation would be best from an original Windows 7 DVD or a fresh ISO on a USB thumb drive or burned to disk rather than the back up you have on your 1TB external HDD, this in case there is a problem with the Windows 7 back up on the external HDD.

Quick suggestion before you do the above, change the boot sequence so that it boots from a USB device, make sure that the Windows 7 disk is not in the optical drive, shut down the notebook, connect your 1TB external HDD to the notebook, restart the notebook to see if it will boot from the Windows 7 that you have on the external HDD.

Advertisements

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

it will not boot from the external HDD

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

it will not boot from the external HDD

Not sure if it was intentional but may I ask why you are shouting  :(

No response to the other information that I provided in my reply #40.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

I attached the other hard drive and powered on the comp, it told me I need to install an operating system. I am not sure if the machine recognized the new hard drive. I do not have an actual windows disk, only the disks I created when the machine was new.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

With the new HDD in place of the original one, try installing Windows 7 from your recovery disk/s to the new HDD, remove the recovery disk and then restart the notebook to see if it boots up from the drive.

NB: Can I ask if you have ever used the recovery disk/s before, if yes, did Windows load without issue afterwards.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

I have never used them before, I also made image discs. which set do you think will work better?