Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

after fan replacement, my laptop will not boot normally (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No problem, just thought Id mention it.

Advertisements

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

system has been stable for about a week now, I also received the recovery discs from HP in the mail. what is the next step?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You never told us if you tried the following from my reply #74

1. Click the Windows 7  orb (Start) in the bottom left-hand corner of your screen.
2. Type in: "Services.msc" (without the quotes) into the Start Search text box, if prompted by the UAC, provide a password or confirmation. Click Continue.
3. Scroll down until you locate the entry that is labeled: “Desktop Window Manager Session Manager”
4. Right-click on this service. Select Start from the context menu.
5. Right click once again on the entry. Select Properties from the context menu.
6. Go to the “General tab.” Change the Start up Type to "Enabled." Click OK.

system has been stable for about a week now, I also received the recovery discs from HP in the mail. what is the next step?

Please define stable as in are updates installing ok - is desktop manager working etc.

Can I ask what the cost of the recovery disk/s was from HP, the information will be helpful to others that may read your thread looking for help themselves, recovery media is most likely far less costly than purchasing retail Windows media + recovery disk/s have all of the required OEM drivers and installation instructions.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

I apologize, I did try to restart windows desktop manager via the services.msc. I stopped it and then restarted it and made sure it was enabled, but it still is not working.

the recovery media discs (2) with shipping costs were $30.01 dollars US.

updates are working fine, just the desktop manager is still not working.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks for the update/recovery media information  :thumbsup:

Try using your new media to run chkdsk and System File Checker (SFC) from the Recovery Console;

• Boot your Windows 7 installation DVD
  • When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
  • At the "Install Windows" screen, click on Repair your computer at lower left
  • At the System Recovery Options screen, make note of the drive letter assigned to your boot drive (normally C:) and click Next
  • At the Chose a Recovery Tool window, click on Command Prompt. You will be sitting at X:\Sources directory
  • Run chkdsk or SFC
    • If you did not note the drive letter of your boot disk, you can enter bcdedit and look at the osdevice line to see what it is.
    • For chkdsk, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter (use the letter from above if not C:).
    • For sfc, type sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows and press Enter (use the letter from above)

Let either run to completion undisturbed.

If using the correct HP media to repair the OS does not resolve the issue I`m afraid you are left with two options, live with the DTM not working or a fresh installation of Windows and other required software and drivers.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

I should have mentioned that the 3 discs I received are all labeled hp, they did not supply a windows disc. 1 is labeled application & driver recovery, the other 2 are labeled system recovery, media for windows 7. I am not sure which one to use.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

One of the two that is labelled system recovery media, while the computer is booted into Windows already, insert each disk in the DVD drive and see what is on them, one could be 32 bit and the other 64 bit.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

i could not figure out what the programs were on the discs while in windows. i booted from the disc anf it went directly to system recovery. i bit the bullet and clicked yes. am now in the process of reinstalling things and applying microsoft updates.  i'll let you know how everything goes.  the desktop manager is working again...LOL

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

That was was brave but thankfully good news  :)

Will look out for your next update, don't forget once fully updated, create a new restore point.

NB: Hope you have marked the appropriate recovery disk in case you ever need it again.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

finally have all the Microsoft updates installed, desktop manager does not give any more failure notifications, everything seems to be working as it should. i'll give the machine a week to see if it remains stable. 

thanks for all your help with this Phil

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

That is good news and thanks for letting us know  :thumbsup:  

You did all of the hard and tedious work but you are welcome  :)

Restore point nag, nag  ;)

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

yes, i created numerous restore points and also increased the storage space saved for restore points

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:)  :thumbsup:

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

everything seems to be working well with the exception of catalyst control manager having problems at startup.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks for the update and glad to hear that things are ok  :thumbsup:

FWIW: The CCC software can be a pain in the proverbial and so much so that people ofen dont even use it.