Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

how to recover my data

• Please log in to reply

remi6

remi6

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,

For 2 days 1 turned the power off while windows xp pro sp2 was shutting down. Unfortunately now when I start my computer, it starts windows the progress bar is shown for some time and then the system crashes and starts again.

When I try to use 1 of the other installations on the computer it crashes in the same way.

When I try to reinstall 1 partition with a fresh windows installation, the system crashes again after a while because it can'write changes to the harddrive (Offcourse I uses F6 to bring the drivers for the raid system in)

I use I raid system (High Point) with stripping so I guess I can't boot my system from a Knoppix CD or something like that.

Anybody has good ideas how I can recover my data or even my system?

Ok, advice 1 is backup your data. :-((((

Thanks for your help

Edited by remi6, 14 June 2005 - 11:22 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
does the highpoint utility offer you a chance to restore the array? This is a reason why people should not use striping unless they are dilligent backer uppers.

remi6

remi6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

does the highpoint utility offer you a chance to restore the array?

View Post

I didn't find anything like that.

Meanwhile I found that I can see my disk if I use the windows install cd en go to the repair mode. Unfortunately I than can only use a very limited set of commands. Chkdsk says there are unrepaireble error on the disk.

Any known utility which can bring me further?

Thans for your help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
not free that will work form a command line....do you have an old harddrive laying around?

You might install it, install windows then use that to retrieve the data.

I assume you ran chkdsk /r
?

remi6

remi6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I assume you ran chkdsk /r
?

View Post

Right

not free that will work form a command line....do you have an old harddrive laying around?

You might install it, install windows then use that to retrieve the data.

View Post

Yep, several, 500 mb up to 5 Gb. Unfortunately borrowed my brother my 15 Gb spare disk. Not sure if windows xp sp2 can be installed on 5 Gb. Should work I guess.

But I guess I will still have problems reading the disk because there are errors on it.

I am thinking of formating the first partition (which contains no necessary data) and install windows on that partition. If possible.

Would that be an good option?

Thanks again for your help

CU

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You should be able to install windows xp on a 5gb drive--at least so you can get it up and running.

You may be able to get your data even if windows is kiboshed.

If not, then try

http://www.pcinspect...uk/download.htm

remi6

remi6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

You should be able to install windows xp on a 5gb drive--at least so you can get it up and running.

You may be able to get your data even if windows is kiboshed.

If not, then try

http://www.pcinspect...uk/download.htm

View Post

Thanks again. I give it a try.

remi6

remi6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Thanks again. I give it a try.

View Post

Hi,

I used a spare harddisk to install a windows installation on it and the pc is running. Unfortunately no utility seems to be able to recover my data. It looks as if especialy the partition table itself is corrupt. I already used fdisk /mbr. I think I will use fdisk to partion the drive again with exact the same sizes. Wonder if this will destroy everything or bring it to live. Any idea about that?

Thanks for an answer.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it will destroy it

the problem you are encountering is half your data is on one drive and half on the other.....and I mean half of each file, bit by bit....

one bad drive renders the data inaccessible when a striped set goes.

remi6

remi6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

it will destroy it

the problem you are encountering is half your data is on one drive and half on the other.....and I mean half of each file, bit by bit....

one bad drive renders the data inaccessible when a striped set goes.

View Post

I know, but as my system is running with raid drivers installed, Windows sees it as 1 drive. As far as I can see, none of the drives is broken but only the partition table is corrupted. On the other hand, if one drive is gone, my data is lost anyway.

I don't see any other possible solutions wich will not damage the data if it goes wrong. Do u?

Thanks again.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, sorry...nothing comes to mind unless I am missing something,

remi6

remi6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

no, sorry...nothing comes to mind unless I am missing something,

View Post

:tazz: Neither do I.

Thanks for your thinking with me.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hate striped sets---nothing but trouble unless you've got a backup plan. This is going to get ugly as I am seeing PC makers selling pcs with striped sets now....this will come back to haunt us.

remi6

remi6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

hate striped sets---nothing but trouble unless you've got a backup plan. This is going to get ugly as I am seeing PC makers selling pcs with striped sets now....this will come back to haunt us.

View Post

:tazz: Yeah.

On the other hand. I am an IT professional with 26 year experiance. And I knew this could happen after I installed it the first time. I tell everybody they should make back-ups. ;) But with the large size of current disks, making a backup without special equipmand is almost impossible. Especially because lots of people have only 1 logical disk. For me it was possible to backup because my PC was partioned and I have 3 computers in a network. I had only about 30 Gb to backup. About 25 Gb I have backup. But I lost ( I guess) my digital photo's of the last 4 months or so. Some mail, some letters etc. Not especially catastrophic but no fun either.

Meanwhile my troubles seems not to be over. I can't delete a partition on my raid drive.

I guess I delete my raid. And use 2 separate disks. I wonder if that is possible. Any idea if the 2 disks are 1 master and 1 slave so I can plug the cable from the RAID into the normal controller and it shoud work? Besides BIOS settings etc.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
wait a sec...you cannot delete the partition...why not?

what error message?

That sounds slightly different--perhaps faulty raid controller.

If that is the case, a similar motherboard/raid controller may be able to retrieve the the data.

----------------------

as for your last question...not quite sure I follow you, but you can make the disks dynamic and then create a software raid from within windows with the need for a raid controller....a bit off track though