Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Power problem? Overheating?

• Please log in to reply

Azlamington

Azlamington

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi,

I've had a problem with my computer. One day it crashed and went to the dreaded black "Please insert boot disc" screen. I panicked as it was seemed apparent that my hard drive was f*^ked. I don't wanna lose all my family's picks, vids, memories.

A friend in the IT dept at my workplace gave me a copy of Windows XP mini on a memory stick and told me to boot that and run a program called "Victoria" to see if my hard drive was detectable at all, but, when I switched it on something unexpected happened, my HDD booted up half way but then crashed before Windows 7 finished the startup. Back to that black screen again I booted the XP mini and tried Victoria but the HDD could not be detected at all.

Following my friends advice, I opened my comp, checked for any black char marks on the motherboard, checked for loose plugs/components, checked for bulging capacitors, removed the power supply, opened it and checked for those same signs inside that box. Nothing looked wrong. When I put everything back, I wondered if I used the unused SATA ports 3 and 4 for the HDD and Optic drives if that would be worth a try. It worked!! for about half an hour anyway, then back to the black screen.

He then said I should try unplugging the optic drive completely, so I unplugged the power supply from it and removed the OD to Motherboard wire completely and it worked. BUT WHY?!? He can't give me a straight answer other that something about the optic drive maybe sending the wrong frequency to the motherboard or something (which I cannot understand).

All I know for sure is that the comp used to get quite hot before but doesn't anymore. All throughout this I went from thinking the HDD was dead, to the power supply was malfunctioning, to there's something wrong with the optic drive. Do you guys have any idea what may have been wrong?? Was the Optic drive causing the comp to overheat? Do you think it was the optic drive or the power supply? Would replacing the optic drive solve the problem or would the problem return?

Edited by Azlamington, 21 August 2015 - 05:38 PM.

Advertisements

Azlamington

Azlamington

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

By the way, it is that same computer I am posting this from... :yes:

nordvark

nordvark

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 558 posts

From your description NO, Could have been any number of things, BUT BE WARNED, NOW is the time to make a full image backup of that hard drive, which you should have done before anyway. If you don't care about backups, you don't care about your data.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts

If there was a problem in the optic drive which caused it to draw more power than it should, then it could act as a heater, as well as load the power supply more, which could cause problems when the load is too high. Whether this is likely is unknown though.