Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can device manager list wrong hardware?

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Greetings.

I have asked Asus about this but curiosity got me so I am asking here. You guys explain things in plain English for everybody, not just computer whizzes.

I have an Asus K53E-BBR4, was running Windows 7 Home, and have upgraded to Windows 10 and went through the growing pains of an upgrade, had to reinstall some drivers. The main driver was my wireless network adapter. I, along with countless others, have the issue of loosing network connectivity after the upgrade. Checked the Device Manager and took care of all the yellow boxes. Since I am still loosing connectivity, I went to the Asus website to see if they had an update the Device Manager did not find. Strange thing...the Device Manager shows I have a Realtek wireless adapter, Asus does not have a listing for a Realtek wireless adapter. Can the Device Manager show an incorrect piece of hardware?

Thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello tjmcs,

Never heard of Device Manager listing an incorrect component before, drivers yes, can you open Device Manager, expand Network Adapters, grab a screenshot and attach it to your next reply for us;

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Requested screenshot.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot device manage.jpg

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

It shows it is wireless adapter for your pc, and Atheros one is ethernet adapter(wired)

The black arrow shows that the wireless adapter in your pc is disabled.

Just right click on it and press enable and then update driver.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks Dashing star  :thumbsup:

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I have the wireless adapter disabled because of the connectivity loss. When I am running wireless and it goes out, I just click on "disable" and then "enable" and the connection comes back. Aggravating. As far as updating, I have. That's the thing. It is updating a Realtek wireless adapter. According to the Asus website, it should show a Atheros adapter for wireless as well. Still waiting on word from Asus as to exactly what it should show.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

what about going to view-->show hidden devices in device manager?

Did it shows anything?

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Got a long list of Microsoft virtual adapters.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Device manager did not show wrong devices, what about right click on it and update driver?

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
It can not find a newer driver than what I have.