Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless router multiple unsolved issues

wireless ip dhcp static wired

• Please log in to reply

Renata Runcan

Renata Runcan

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello! I don't know if I came in the right place for my problems and before I start I want to apologize for my poor english. I'll do my best to explain these things the right way.

So I've been searching for weeks through all forums and I barely found something. I couldn't solve my problems though. That's why I decided to try asking.

This is about a wireless router. I have a laptop, a PC and 3 smartphones. 3 weeks ago our phones refused to connect to wifi and 2 of them (androids) were stuck on "Obtaining IP Adress". I searched for that and I got the hint to modify in network configuration the IP settings from DHCP to Static and write there a proper IP adress. It works like that now, but it doesn't seem right, because the laptop is working as a DHCP Client. Another thing is that I can't modify IP settings on a windows phone. So no other device can connect  to wifi as a DHCP Client.

So in the router configuration the DHCP server is enabled. I reseted the router like 6 times and I properly configured it and it's the same.

But that's not everything.

When I turned on my PC which was wired to the wireless router I saw that there was no signs of a network adaper. It worked fine 24 hours earlier and the next time I turned on the PC it was simply gone. I tried everything, but I realised that the Ethernet Network Adapter was suddenly broken. So I bought a new one and I installed the driver and everything.

Now the new network adapter works fine and apparently my PC is connected to the router, but not to the internet. I tried a wired connection between my laptop and the router and it's the same problem. So the internet is not working wired. I configured the router from the laptop through the wifi connection. Everything that is wired is not working at all. I forgot to say I had a smart tv wired to this router too, that's not working either. Sometimes the PC has an internet connection for not more than 5 seconds and then it’s simply gone. After a really long troubleshoot the final result is that "The default gateway is not available" and it's not fixed.

I'll have to say that it doesn't make any sense to me. The DHCP Servers working only for the laptop, the wired connections not working at all and if I have a windows phone then I'm screwed.

I tried to acces my IP adress in a browser and it’s working only on a wireless connection, on my laptop. I can’t configure my router through the PC even if it’s wired and there actually IS a connection between them.

I want to know if there is any other solution to this... thing, instead of buying a new Wireless Router.

The current Wireless router is TP-LINK Model TL-WR841N. I had this for more than 2 years and it was great until now.

I don't know what happend, I don't know if it's my fault or if anything of what I wrote here makes any sense. If it does, I could use some advices from someone who knows these things better than I do (because it took a while for me to figure how to write this things with the proper terms and I don’t even know if they’re good).

My final question: is it possible (even a small chance) that a thunderstorm did this to the wireless router, breaking the network adapter in both my pc and smart tv?

Thank you for your time!

If you have additional questions about what I wrote or something doens't make sense, please ask! I'll try to explain things differently.

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Did you read this?

Did you enter your Default gateway as shown in the link above?

Renata Runcan

Renata Runcan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I did now. Disabling DHCP Server didn't solve my problem, so I enabled it again, rebooting the device as many times as needed. Now even my androids can't acces the internet, even with a static ip adress. Yes, I reseted the wireless routerand I did everything that was necesarry for them to work. Now I only have my laptop connected to the internet and I don't know for how long. So no, I'm sorry, that did not help. In fact is worse.
The error on my android phone is "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET". I think I'll get a new wireless router after all. I just thought that this situation was really strange. Thanks anyway!

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

The problem with your router settings, contact your ISP or service technician to take care of it.

Thanks for updating

Regards