Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can failing GPU cause loud CPU fan?

• Please log in to reply

icikle

icikle

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Hi,

I suspect I have a failing GTX 690 (it wouldnt be the first time) as I am occasionally getting random black screens following by a reboot and the saved dump refers to video hardware error. 

This is usually but not always brought on by gaming.

Anyway, before this started occurring, and since, my CPU fan seems to suddenly cramp up to ridiculous levels when doing something which may put it under pressure. The only thing is, this never used to be the case, my machine has always been much quieter than this.

If I replace my GPU, but my CPU fan continues to be stupidly loud at times of stress, what are the likely causes?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

If the GPU is heating up the surrounding area, the CPU could be running a bit hotter whiich would cause the CPU fan to spin faster to try and cool the CPU back down.

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

OK, i downloaded coretemp and the readings of my cores are all 94 degrees when just viewing a simple webpage. this seems way excessive. Can an overheating CPU cause a black screen but then the error report "thin" it was a gpu error? Or is it likely that the GPU is overheating my CPU? 

Or are both broken? lol

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Yep, 94°C is a bit steep. Download, install and run Speccy. Click File > Publish Snapshot > Yes > Copy to Clipboard and then paste in the URL you just copied into a Reply to this thread.

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...ghlFwQMzCdDh8pN

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

That 96°C on your Intel Core i7 3820 is NOT good. That's close to the auto-shutdown temp, (so that it doesn't melt and start a fire).

The 32 & 33°C on your GTX 690's are good.

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Yeah and the motherboard was 104 degrees!

This was all while mostly idle too. My question is:

Could the auto shutdown report as a video hardware error even when it's not? Because whenever I've had an auto shutdown that's what's being reported in the error log.

Thanks

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Apparently so. It's the CPU that's too hot. And you need to find a solution pretty quick before you fry it, or start the house on fire.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Just to let you know my machine is with a repair shop who are diagnosis for me as I'm far too busy with work to spend time on it.

Thanks for the advice you gave :)

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

You're welcome. Here's hoping it's a simple, reasonably priced fix and your have your computer back home soon.