Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless Card won't find router signal

• Please log in to reply

mattrosine

mattrosine

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi there,

I have just moved from the UK to the USA and I am trying to set up my laptop, which has a Netgear Wireless PC Card 32-bit CardBus WG511, to connect to my Fiancee's Netgear Wireless router.

For some reason, using the Netgear Smart Wizard-Wireless Assistance tool, or the Windows own wireless finder, the card won't pick up the signal from the router. I know the router is working fine because my Fiancee's laptop has connection.

Strangely, if I put my Fiancee's Netgear into my laptop, it picks up the signal from the router - but won't connect to it!

What am I missing here?? Normally (when I was in the UK - I don't know if that makes any difference) whenever I am by a wireless signal, the card will pick it up fine. Now all of a sudden it won't work.

Could anyone give me an idea as to what I should try and do? Any quick help would be very much appreciated! I can give you any further information should you need it.

Thank you,

Matt

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Sounds like she has WEP enabled on the router. Have her login to the router's config screen and find out what here wep encryption key is. If you just type that in the connection settings for her network when you pick it up you should be able to login.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

mattrosine

mattrosine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Sounds like she has WEP enabled on the router.  Have her login to the router's config screen and find out what here wep encryption key is.  If you just type that in the connection settings for her network when you pick it up you should be able to login. 

View Post

Hey, thanks for your reply.

I checked and she does not have WEP enabled.

Her sister brought her desktop computer here and it found the wireless signal just fine.

** Update - after messing with the router config screen, my fiancee's laptop is now not picking up the signal either.... I have no idea what I have done. I haven't changed anything.

If neither cards are picking up a wireless signal - what could it be...??? WEP is disabled.

Thanks!

mattrosine

mattrosine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

I just wanted to put a clarification on here.

Right now - my Fiancee's laptop is picking up the signal but won't connect to it AND my laptop won't pick up any signal.

Please can someone give me some ideas??

Thank you.

Matt

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Ok, for testing reasons now lets setup the router again. Go back to the config page and make sure it is broadcasting the SSID. Next make sure wep or any other sort of encryption is turned off. Make sure DHCP is enabled. Now when you see it in the networks on the computers go into that config and make sure everything matches. Let me know what happens. If all else fails just turn off the computer and hold in the small "reset" button for a minute or so until the lights stop blinking and they calm down. Now turn the computer back on and see if you can get signals with the default settings. When you reset the router like that it sets everything back to default. Sometimes easier than trying to figure out what's wrong.

mattrosine

mattrosine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Ok, for testing reasons now lets setup the router again.  Go back to the config page and make sure it is broadcasting the SSID.  Next make sure wep or any other sort of encryption is turned off.  Make sure DHCP is enabled.  Now when you see it in the networks on the computers go into that config and make sure everything matches.  Let me know what happens.  If all else fails just turn off the computer and hold in the small "reset" button for a minute or so until the lights stop blinking and they calm down.  Now turn the computer back on and see if you can get signals with the default settings.  When you reset the router like that it sets everything back to default.  Sometimes easier than trying to figure out what's wrong. 

View Post

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Unfortunetly, the laptop still isn't picking up any signal at all. I have used both the Netgear wizard and Windows own wireless locator, and it doesn't pick up anything. The router is right next to the laptop, and both the other computers work fine, so I know the signal is ok.

I have gone into the Properties of the Wireless Network Connection in Network Connections, and as far as I can tell, the settings match up with the router config page. Am I looking in the right place?

Both other computers pick up the signal fine, so I don't understand why this doesn't work.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Matt

mattrosine

mattrosine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Ok, for testing reasons now lets setup the router again.  Go back to the config page and make sure it is broadcasting the SSID.  Next make sure wep or any other sort of encryption is turned off.  Make sure DHCP is enabled.  Now when you see it in the networks on the computers go into that config and make sure everything matches.  Let me know what happens.  If all else fails just turn off the computer and hold in the small "reset" button for a minute or so until the lights stop blinking and they calm down.  Now turn the computer back on and see if you can get signals with the default settings.  When you reset the router like that it sets everything back to default.  Sometimes easier than trying to figure out what's wrong. 

View Post

Hi again,

Further to my last reply, I have noticed that if I use the Computer-to-Computer (Ad Hoc) setting on the Netgear Smart Wizard Wireless Assistance tool, it picks up the wireless signal from the router.

It still won't connect to it though.

Any thoughts?

Please help!

Thank you.

Matt

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I had this same thing happen to me at a friends house. Did you reconfig the router from the ground up? Also, can you connect if you're hardwired into the router?

The best and quickest route to take is to simply uninstall and reconfig the router and set the network up from scratch. Sometimes the wireless isn't enabled on those Netgear routers, so you have to go into the routers settings and enable it. Hope that helps...

mattrosine

mattrosine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I had this same thing happen to me at a friends house. Did you reconfig the router from the ground up? Also, can you connect if you're hardwired into the router?

The best and quickest route to take is to simply uninstall and reconfig the router and set the network up from scratch. Sometimes the wireless isn't enabled on those Netgear routers, so you have to go into the routers settings and enable it. Hope that helps...

View Post

Hi,

The wireless is setup on the router because the two other computers in the house are connected by wireless to it.

Yes, I can connect to it if I am hardwired into the router.

I am trying everything else I can before I reconfig the router. I am probably going to try and dowload the new Firmware update for it.

Please help with any other suggestions!!

Hawker

Hawker

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
right click your wireless adapter, and click properties- under the tab that shows all the networks within range, select yours and click the properties button. under network authentication, make sure it is set to open.

i just had the same problem. i could see my network, but it wouldnt connect. if you havent tried the repair option, try using the ipconfig /release /renew commands in DOS. i could connect to my neighbours network, and get internet, but not ours. try those, see if they work.

Advertisements

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
That should work, make sure that your card is matched to the router auth requirements. The thing about wireless, is that everything has to be just so in order to work really well. Oh, and always keep your firmware updated. That usually helps.

mattrosine

mattrosine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

right click your wireless adapter, and click properties- under the tab that shows all the networks within range, select yours and click the properties button. under network authentication, make sure it is set to open.

i just had the same problem. i could see my network, but it wouldnt connect. if you havent tried the repair option, try using the ipconfig /release /renew commands in DOS. i could connect to my neighbours network, and get internet, but not ours.  try those, see if they work.

View Post

As I said before, I am not picking up any signal - so I don't think your advice will work.

I have tried the repair option, etc. There is nothing to repair, it can't see any signal.

mattrosine

mattrosine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

That should work, make sure that your card is matched to the router auth requirements. The thing about wireless, is that everything has to be just so in order to work really well. Oh, and always keep your firmware updated. That usually helps.

View Post

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Could you explain what I have to do to make sure my card is matched to the router auth requirements?

Thanks.

Hawker

Hawker

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
try uninstalling your wireless adapter (device manager) and rebooting. your computer will detect, and re-install it fresh.

mattrosine

mattrosine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

try uninstalling your wireless adapter (device manager) and rebooting. your computer will detect, and re-install it fresh.

View Post

Tried it.

Didn't work.

Still not picking up any signal.

It doesn't pick up signal whether or not I use the Netgear software of the XP software.

BUT.....

As I said before, it does pick up the signal if I use the "Ad Hoc" option in the the Netgear software.

I will try reinstalling the router.

If that doesn't work, I have no idea.

Please help.