Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet explorer

• Please log in to reply

Loreen J

Loreen J

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I tried installing several versions of IE on an XP pc but always get an error message.  It is XP Pro w32 bit.  Looking at requirements at MS,  Xp is not on the list.   Until a new hard drive was installed, it was working just fine on the pc.  Is there still a download somewhere that would work?

Advertisements

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Senior

• GeekU Senior
  • 1,101 posts

Hi Loreen J, 

From where did you install it? And what was the error message?

Loreen J

Loreen J

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I have tried downloads from various sites, (MS, softronic, majorgeeks, etc.) I get variations of this error message.

You are running Windows XP 32-bit. Although Internet Explorer 9 will not run on your system, you can download Internet Explorer 9 for other operating systems.

The pc belongs to a gentleman who at 82 and very visually impaired  can not deal with a new OS.  I'm trying to  keep him busy with what he always knew.    He did use IE before, not sure of version but the hard drive crashed and I had to replace it.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
IE 8 is the highest that XP can take http://windows.micro...em-requirementsyou should be able to download it from here

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Senior

• GeekU Senior
  • 1,101 posts

I have tried downloads from various sites, (MS, softronic, majorgeeks, etc.) I get variations of this error message.

I guess you've downloaded Internet Explorer 9 that isn't compatible with Windows XP.

Download IE8 from here: http://www.majorgeek...8_for_xp,1.html

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Senior

• GeekU Senior
  • 1,101 posts

IE 8 is the highest that XP can take http://windows.micro...em-requirementsyou should be able to download it from here

Essexboy, you were quicker then me... But Microsoft does not provide a download link since XP is not supported.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

IE8 is very old and not a good security risk. You would be much better off installing the latest Firefox or Opera or even (gaak) Google Chrome.

Do install IE8 just so you can do Windows Updates to get any that has not already been installed. Other than that, stay away from it.