Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to update Windows 7 SP1

windows service pack failed

• Please log in to reply

juliaatgeekstogo

juliaatgeekstogo

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hi,

I have tried to install Service Pack 1 on my PC, but despite several attempts each has failed.

I have followed the links to install the Readiness Tool recommended by Microsoft, ran Chkdsk and System File Checker with no problems reported - but the update will still not install. I've also tried with a "Clean Boot" as recommended by Microsoft with no startup items except microsoft.

What else can I check to try and get it installed?

Thanks for helping me.

Regards,

Julia Evans

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi Julia,

Do you see any error code when trying to install the SP1?

juliaatgeekstogo

juliaatgeekstogo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hi Julia,

Do you see any error code when trying to install the SP1?

No - just a message saying it failed, with a link to a download, which was the Readiness Tool which I have ran.

juliaatgeekstogo

juliaatgeekstogo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

That message was only after it rebooted the PC.

juliaatgeekstogo

juliaatgeekstogo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

I just ran the update again to see the failure message. I spotted a tiny "Details" link and clicked on it and saw the attached error message. I did a search on this and it suggests that repair involves effectively re-installing Windows using the installation disk - which is a long process, and I don't have that disk as my Sony (like most laptops) came with the option for recovery disks, not a MS one. Surely there must be an alternative? Or will I need to leave the PC running without Service Pack 1?

Attached Thumbnails

• SP1 error message.png

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Did you disable your anti-virus and try again?

Try to post cbs.log file, Normally the log at  C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

juliaatgeekstogo

juliaatgeekstogo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hi - I have done the installer under "Clean Boot" as directed by Microsoft using MSCONFIG - disabling startup items and non-Microsoft services. Will look out the log now ....

juliaatgeekstogo

juliaatgeekstogo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

I get "Access Denied" when I tried to open the file.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Did you have required space in your drive? --> Generally it need 8GB space.

See canned text below,

Before you install SP1, we recommend you do the following:
If you have any prerelease versions of SP1 installed, uninstall them before installing the final release version of SP1. To do this, follow the instructions in "Uninstalling SP1" in this topic.
Back up your important files to an external location, such as an external hard disk, DVD or CD, USB flash drive, or network folder. For more information, search "Backing up files and folders" in Help and Support.
If you're using a laptop, connect it to an AC electrical outlet and don't unplug or restart the computer during installation.
Some antivirus software might prevent SP1 from installing, or might slow down the installation. You can try temporarily disabling your antivirus software. If you do so, be sure that you're aware of the risks involved, and be sure to re-enable it after the service pack is installed.

If you have problems getting the service pack from Windows Update, you can download the SP1 installation package from the Microsoft Download Center, and then install SP1 manually.

• Go to the Windows 7 Service Pack 1 download webpage on the Microsoft website, and then click Continue.
  • Choose either the 32-bit (x86) or the 64-bit (x64) version of SP1 depending on whether you're running the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of Windows 7, and then click Download.
  • To find out which version you're running, click the Start button The Start button, right-click Computer, and then click Properties. Under System, next to System type, you can view the operating system.
  • To install SP1 immediately, click Open or Run, and then follow the instructions on your screen. To install SP1 later, click Save and download the installation file to your computer. When you're ready to install SP1, double-click the file.
  • On the Install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 page, click Next.
  • Follow the instructions on your screen. Your computer might restart during the installation.
  • After installation is complete, log on to your computer at the Windows logon prompt. You might see a notification indicating whether the update was successful.
  • If you disabled your antivirus software, enable it again.

lee1976uk

lee1976uk

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I had issues with my pc not updating. It was caused by trusted installer not loading .

If you try this and see if it starts or if you get an error.

Open up an elevated command prompt.

To do this 

1. Go to the start menu
  2. In the search box type cmd
  3. In the list that appears right click on cmd.exe
  4. Click on run as administrator
  5. In the cmd box  Type  net start trustedinstaller

Edited by lee1976uk, 27 August 2015 - 03:21 AM.