Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting an XP laptop to an existing home network?

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Help please in connecting aToshiba XP laptop to my existing home network. Can someone spot what I may be doing wrong?

The laptop has not been used in a couple of years. It works fine except for its inability to connect to my home network. When I last used the laptop years ago it connected well to the same network that I am still using (same ISP, Comcast cable). But since then I  moved to a new home and Comcast upgraded my router. The current network definitely is working well; directly connected to a Dell desktop PC, it successfully wirelessly supports a cell phone and an iPad.  The name of the network is HOME111; that name shows on the Settings of both the iPad and the cell phone..

I went through these step strying to connect the Toshiba to that network:

• I clicked Start\Control Panel\Internet Connections.
  • I found  the network  HOME111 listed and I clicked on it.
  • But instead of being asked for a password, I get an error messsage to the effect:

“Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. It may no longer be in range. Try refreshing the list of available networks and try again.”

FWIW: Oddly, that error message carries a NAME at the top of the message, which name is the addresss of my previous location.

Can someone see what I may be doing wrong? Your help is sincerely appreciated. ..... batpark

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

I have done some research and have come up with a couple of Microsoft documents to try.

Run a MS-Fixit

How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service Pack 2

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Dashing star: With telephone help from COMCAST, I successfully connected the new (old) laptop to my home network. I don't know why but the Comcast tech  pulled that off by changing the name of my network. After she did that all my devices worked fine. Again, thanks for your help. .... batpark

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Thanks for updating  :thumbsup:

Glad your problem resolved  ;)

Regards  :wave: