Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc build help

• Please log in to reply

Compnoob1323

Compnoob1323

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay so I'm kind of newII and honest I wanna build a relatively good/,expensive gaming desktop.
Iv got almost everything laid out for what I want except my graphics card(`s) and motherboard.
My build so far is as follows.
Case: CM storm stryker case $150
Cpu: Intel i7 5820 k
Cpu cooler: corsair h110
Memory: corsair dominator platinum 16GBP (2x8)
Storage: western Digital or Seagate 1tb and a Samsung 850 pro ssd
Power supply: corsair 1000 watt maybe 1200
I won't list all fans and such but I will have 1 240'm and 4 average sized fans balanced exhaust to in.

Anyways my main problem is board and graphics. I want a 980 to honestly probably two of them
But I know there are a ton of variation and I enjoy the gigabyte version though noisier I'm just not sure
How it will work in sli for heat dissipation. Then comes the board honestly I have no idea iv done a month
Worth or tea search and still a complete toss up. I would appreciate the most help here lol
Thanks for anybody who tries to help :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:  Compnoob1323,

Using your list of proposed parts to emphasize please note the following;

Cpu: Intel i7 5820 k a massive overkill for gaming and therefore a waste of financial resources.

Cpu cooler: corsair h110 see my canned text below regarding any potential CPU that you purchase that may ship with a stock cooler.

Memory: corsair dominator platinum 16GBP (2x8) like the choice of CPU 16GB of Ram would be a waste, no present or foreseeable game requires such resources, 2 Xs 4GB sticks is adequate and ensuring that any potential MB will accommodate more will future proof upgrade potential.

Storage: western Digital or Seagate 1tb and a Samsung 850 pro ssd a 128 or 256GB SSD for the OS and most often used games + a 1TB HDD for data only storage

Power supply: corsair 1000 watt maybe 1200 You should never choose a PSU until all other hardware has been decided on and then confirmed as being available - then use a PSU calculator such as the example @ http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html?name=Power-Supply-Wattage-Calculator as this will help ensure that you will have enough clean and stable power.

Your aftermarket cooler, using any cooler other than that which is supplied with a PIB (processor in a box) has the potential to void the standard three year CPU warranty, see below;

Full Intel article here

With the above in mind I would suggest that you first try the stock cooler provided, if you later decide to use a third party cooler because you are unhappy with the performance of the stock cooler please be aware that you use any third party cooler at your own risk.

FWIW: Having asked an Intel representative the question regarding third party coolers voiding the Intel PIB three year warranty**, the answer was no it does not directly void the warranty, Intel CPUs returned under warranty will be subject to inspection to determine if the processor failure was the result of incorrect installation of the processor and/or the cooler or usage outside of the recommended Intel guidelines such as extreme overclocking.

** Transcript available if required.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

Compnoob1323

Compnoob1323

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I was unaware of the void of warranty as for the Intel i7 and ram I agree they are a bit over kill but admittedly the 980 to in sli are also but I'd like to do it all while I have the money set back for it at of now iv go about $2500 to build it so I wanted overkill but not useless spending. My biggest problem was finding a motherboard that was actually what I needed.not just a ton of pointless bells and whistles. Also I had read that the power supply isn't absolutely contingent on what you have atm so in case I added anything I wanted over head.