Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU fan spins for a split second then stop.. new to Pc build..

pc build wont boot pc boot post cpu fan cpu fan spins for a split sec

Best Answer phillpower2 , 27 August 2015 - 02:33 AM

arjimaay, Couple of questions if I may: Are the 24 pin and 8 pin power connections securely in place and the same for the 4 pin CPU cooling fan connection. Is the build... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

arjimaay

arjimaay

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi I just built a brand new computer for school. I built everything and tried to boot but I only saw the CPU fan spins for a split second and stop. I dont know what to do  :upset: ..

My Specs:

CPU: AMD FX 6300

Mobo: GIGABYTE 78LMT-USB3

RAM:2x4 HyperX white fury

GPU: GIGABYTE 760 ti windforce

PSU: evga 600w 80 plus

HDD: WD 1TB 

any help will be appreciated.. I just want this baby to work..

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
✓  Best Answer

:welcome:   arjimaay,

Couple of questions if I may:

Are the 24 pin and 8 pin power connections securely in place and the same for the 4 pin CPU cooling fan connection.

Is the build already inside of the case, if yes, see my canned text below;

Remove the MB and do a bare-bones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the screen to one of the MBs own video ports, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.

IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad.

Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins and finally try removing the CMOS battery for a few moments and then replace it, this will clear any possible bad MB settings.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

Off to work now but will check back later.

BTW, if you have not got an onboard BIOS speaker I suggest that you purchase one, see my attached example;

arjimaay

arjimaay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

thank you! i found the problem! it was the case fan! i appreciate all the help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Pleased to hear that all is now well and thank you for the follow up arjimaay  :thumbsup: