Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All USB ports not working! - Dell Inspiron 17R, 5720 Laptop

USB Hardware USB failure

• Please log in to reply

Steven Burnish

Steven Burnish

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

All the USB ports of my Dell Inspiron 17R, 5720 are not working. When I connect a USB drive I hear the 'connected sound,' the light in the USB flashes red to show it is connected but no USB drive logo appears in My Computer.

I have tried multiple thumb drives, cell phone, tablet and also updated BIOS, Chipset and all USB drivers but the problem persists. 

I have also tried the following:

- Uninstalled all my drivers and restarted. 

- Tried the Dell Forum and got no help.

- Tried the Dell Diagnostic Software and gave USB Test. I am unable to complete the test. ( I passed the general test) 

- I tinkered few things and had a USB 3.0 External HD work in one of the slots yet USB 2.0 flash drives did not work in the same slot. Hoping to make the USB 2.0 work, I tinkered once again and now USB 3.0 also no longer works. 

Screenshot of my Device Manager is attached.

Thanks in advance for the help and time!

Attached Thumbnails

• PEN DRIVE.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Steven Burnish,

Had you made any hardware or software changes previous to this happening?

To see if the issue is Windows related please see the following Microsoft information;

To restore system files and settings using a recommended restore point
  1. Open System Restore by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818. In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore.‍ 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. Click Recommended restore, and then click Next.

If there isn't a recommended restore point, follow the steps below to choose a specific restore point.

3. Review the restore point, and then click Finish.

To restore system files and settings using a specific restore point
  1. Open System Restore by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818. In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore.‍ 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. Do one of the following:

• If there is a recommended restore point, click Choose a different restore point, and then click Next.

• If there isn't a recommended restore point, click Next.

3. Click the restore point that you want, and then click Next.

To view the programs and drivers that will be affected (which could include programs that will be deleted), click Scan for affected programs.

4. Review the restore point, and then click Finish.

Steven Burnish

Steven Burnish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

When I was using the laptop, it switched off all of a sudden. When I turned it back on, the USB ports stopped working. 

I tried System Restore. It says System Restore is turned off. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

When I was using the laptop, it switched off all of a sudden. When I turned it back on, the USB ports stopped working. 

I tried System Restore. It says System Restore is turned off. 

Neither are a good sign I'm afraid  :(

Please note that you cannot turn on system protection for a disk that's formatted using the FAT or FAT32 file systems but can you try the following Microsoft steps and get back to us;

Open System by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

In the left pane, click System protection.  Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Under Protection Settings, click the disk, and then click Configure.

Do one of the following:

To be able to restore system settings and previous versions of files, click Restore system settings and previous versions of files.

To be able to only restore previous versions of files, click Only restore previous versions of files.

Click OK, and then click OK again.

In addition;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Steven Burnish

Steven Burnish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I have now turned on the system restore.

URL for the Speccy Test. http://speccy.pirifo...3KlKWpuneDCmJKS

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Points of note from your Speccy report;

PandoraService.exe

uTorrent.

Pandora = adware and uTorrent any number of can of worms, regardless of what is done here I strongly suggest that you have the security experts check out your computer, see GTG Malware Redirection guidance below;

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

In addition to the above, you are dangerously low on free storage space on the HDD, this in itself will cause you serious problems such as drivers failing to load and data corruption etc so I would suggest that you try and free up some space asap, this may also help the security experts with their work.

Please note that in order to avoid data corruption and/or mechanical HDD failure for data only HDDs you must always have a minimum of 10% of the HDDs overall storage capacity available as free space and between and 15 and 20% of a HDDs overall storage capacity available as free space if the OS is on it, the free space allows for information to be copied to and from the drive efficiently.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you Steven Burnish, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.