Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 upgrade screwed my W7 system

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

gruff

gruff

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hi,

I left my computer running and went off to attend to some other stuff. When I returned a W10 upgrade had started and was beginning to shutdown my pc with the usual 'do not turn off your comptuter' message. It was already showing 4% completed, so I left it running.

After a couple of hours of this, it rebooted my pc and the pc froze on startup. Eventually, I did a hard reboot - very worried about what had happened!

After an inordinately long (20+ minutes) startup, my old Win7 Ultimate booted and looked ok(ish).

However, the dreaded 'Upgrade to w10 is ready to install' popped up and also your copy of 'windows is not genuine' popup. I've never had this before!

I kicked the upgrade 2 days 'down the road' by selecting the 'schedule' option in the dialog box.

I performed a system restore to a few days earlier, but the 'windows not genuine' bs is still there. Also the upgrade to win10 nagging continues.

I do not want windows 10 - not now, not ever! I am perfectly happy with my win7 installation... or I was before win10 upgrade screwed soooo many things up on the system! E.g. ram drive, NAS, genuine windows, and it's anyone's guess what else... yet to be discovered!

I would like to permanently get rid of win10 nagging and also STOP it from doing whatever it's planning to do in a couple of days. Hopefully, to get rid of it forever.

Can anyone help me with this, please?

TIA,

gruff

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

See here: Remove Get Windows 10

About halfway down the page, see: Removing KB3035583

Also read here: Scared and Very Confused - Windows 10

gruff

gruff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Thank you for your reply. I apologise for my slow response - it was a long holiday weekend in UK and that got in the way of me replying earlier.

I followed the instructions on the links you provided and deleted the GWX file and renamed the folders.

I also stopped windows update from doing anything automatically... which seeing as my version of windows has been saying it's not genuine ever since this unnecessary farce started, probably makes no difference anyway as MS will, likely, have turned off me being able to download updates anyway.

The "Windows update schedule your upgrade" dialog still pops up - I risked letting it run and it failed due to above tweaks getting rid of the GWX stuff (kind of). However, the schedule nag reappeared today... I've 'kicked it down the road' for another 2 days. I would take a full backup of my system drive, but I can't see much resolution for me in doing so as the upgrade nag stuff & genuine issue have now been installed and are hiding on my SSD anyway :-(

I've managed to find my Windows key, etc but the online option hasn't worked = I'll call MS 'get genuine' support number and report back.

In the meantime, do you have a suggestion for how to 'permanently' (I realise it will likely come back to haunt me soon - now matter what we do!) get rid of the "Windows update schedule your upgrade" popup and prevent it from continuing to occur?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

gruff

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I followed the direction KYHI wrote in the link I posted and it worked for me.

gruff

gruff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Thank you for your reply and I'm glad you followed KYHI's instructions and that it worked for you.

As I mentioned in my last post, I have followed all of these intructions in the (KHYI) link which you provided...

• You must disable GWX.exe services/processes from within task manager
  • You must rename GWX folder in system32 and syswow64
  • you must go into windows updates and right click the update and select Hide
  • you must delete $Windows.~BT folder (and / if) $Windows.~WS folder

N.B. *If* by "you must go into windows updates and right click the update and select Hide" KYHI's reference was to KB3035583, I couldn't do that as the only option is to 'Uninstall'. *Please, see my question at the end of this post*

Are you saying that what "worked for you" was to do a complete reinstall of Windows 8.1? As is mentioned in KYHI's final post/reply on the thread you provided the link to?  N.B. KYHI's post was refreshed in my IE (ver 11.0.9600.17959)  browser's tab at 02:40 BST on Wed 2-Sep-15...

KYHI Senior Member

Last update 15 hours ago

Sorry, I have no control over how MS is forcing the upgrade upon everybody... I already upgraded to 10, removed windows 10 because to many problems or issues, so I clean installed windows 8.1, Blocked GWX and so on..

Here are the latest results.. Notice MS has it as an Important Update !! What The ?? Really..
Important to who ?? Not me or many other windows users...

Can you, please, clarify what your "worked for you" comment means because I'm not sure what you meant by it.

*Also do you suggest that I go ahead and just 'Uninstall' KB3035583 in Windows Update?

Update: This hardship caused since the W10 upgrade continues...

I just went into Task Manager to check that the upgrade hadn't re-infiltrated it and discovered it is now reporting that the 'task image' file is corrupt or has been tampered with! I've attached a screen clip of what it showed.

Thanks for your time,

gruff

Attached Thumbnails

• TaskScheduler 01.PNG

Edited by gruff, 01 September 2015 - 08:32 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, you have to uninstall an update before you can hide it.

gruff

gruff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Despite my best efforts. w10 update "Let's reschedule" nonsense keeps reappearing.

I'm done with this bs and even though it will cause *tremendous* agro for me (excel spreadsheets, outlook reminders, favourites, and who knows what else?) I'm now prepared to blow microshaft off and switch to Linux.

This w10 crap is as bad as the worst virus any of my computers have ever had! And being a freelance systems analyst/programmer on microcomputers since the days when windoze didn't exist and the debate of the day was - would it be msdos or cp/m which would be the predominant OS, I've had enough!

I'm retired now and now have no persuasive reason to stick with ms. So... it's bye-bye microshaft and hello Linux, for me. I will deal with the hardship this move will cause me and abandon my side-line business of 'fixing' ppls' computers (all running ms os, of course).

Thank you for your time & assistance,

Be well, gruff