Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice with CPU upgrade please

• Please log in to reply

Adelphion

Adelphion

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi all, i love to build my own pc and upgrade the hardware, but i don't know anything about the numbers behind CPU-Z or BIOS. I don't know how to overclock and don't really need to. I would like someone to check my CPU-Z and tell me if everything looks cool for a normal running numbers on the CPU and RAM especially.

I installed a phenom ii x4 955 BE the other day (upgrading from an athlon II x 2) and was expecting a big jump in speed etc and i'm not really noticing much of a difference at all.

I would really appreciate if anyone knows about that processor and how the numbers should look.

wr6t7z.png

I hope i posted the CPU-Z link correctly, never done it before. I think that's a validation link above(?)

Thanks!!!

* Also, if you tell me to change something, be sure to tell me exactly how lol!!! I like building pc's and putting in new hardware but that's as far as my knowledge goes :/

Edited by Adelphion, 29 August 2015 - 08:09 AM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

The Phenom is only, roughly 10% faster.

http://cpuboss.com/c...thlon-II-X2-250

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

in normal use you won't notice much if any difference, where there is a big difference is in multi threaded programs and then your new cpu is more than twice as fast. scroll down in the link provided by spywaredr to the benchmark tests and you will see the real difference between the 2.

eg passmark

single core there is not much difference 1,123 vs 992 and this is more like normal use start up, web browsing, etc.

but when all cores come into play it's 4,019 vs 1,770 and this is more like video editing/conversion where your old cpu would take say 60 minutes to finish a job your new cpu will complete it in under 30 minutes.

as to games then a lot will depend on your graphics card but i'd expect a few frames more in all games and a good %age more in games that are muti threaded and cpu intensive compared to your old cpu.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 29 August 2015 - 11:51 AM.

Adelphion

Adelphion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok cool, i just browse and play LoL, World of tanks, tf2 etc on steam, no editing or anything. Not sure what multi thread means. I assume you guys think the cpu-z report looks ok for this cpu?

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

assume you guys think the cpu-z report looks ok for this cpu?

yes looks fine.

Not sure what multi thread means

just means capable of utilizing all of the 4 cores at the same time, where as a single thread program will only utilize 1 core of your new 4 core cpu.

Adelphion

Adelphion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Ah so some easy games are 1 thread and complex games (star wars battlefront etc) will be multi thread?

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

just depends on how the game programmers wrote the code, most new games will be multi threaded.

you might find this topic an interesting read on the subject of gaming and multi threading. :- https://www.reddit.c...on_single_core/

Adelphion

Adelphion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks!