Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer turns off before booting

• Please log in to reply

engineer34

engineer34

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

I have an old computer running XP that boots, but shuts off before starting up.  It restarts and keeps on cycling that way.  When I go into the settings or F8 to start in Safe Mode, it does not shut off.  But once it boots in Safe Mode, it still shuts off.  A blue screen flashes as it boots and, if I use F8 and select to not restart, it stays on the blue screen.  The error code on the blue screen is 0x0000007b.

I am working on this for a friend, so I brought the box home.  Since it is old and my monitor is new, I cannot connect them, so I moved the harddrive to a newer box that had no harddrive in it.  It has a 64-bit bus.  I have tried to restore to a previous point, but it just restarts.  I have run diagnostics without finding anything.

Since it would not start, I could not run any programs, so I booted using Hiren's Boot CD dated Nov. 2012.  I started Mini-XP and ran several malware programs.  Malwarebytes would not run, but ClamAV did.  It found 6 copies of the same virus and quarantined them.  Scan report attached.  I tried to run FRST64, but it would not work, so I ran FRST.  For some reason, it was in Dutch instead of English.  Scan report attached.  OTL will not run, although, I don't get a warning or anything, it just does not do anything.

I hope you can help.  The computer belongs to a high school student and she is at a great disadvantage without it.  Thanks.

Attached Files

Advertisements