Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer won't let me download files (or anything)

Best Answer Streetkt , 31 August 2015 - 06:04 AM

Never changed the Hd. Always been the same one. I use my external Hd to save my documents and photos. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Streetkt

Streetkt

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok so within the last few months my computer won't let me download anything. I can't download files, pictures nada!
I have done a restore point. Didn't help. Run malware bytes nothing came up. Cleaned computer didn't help. Used other browsers - didn't help.
I haven't added or changed any software to make it all of a sudden stop downloading anything.
The download will come up, then in the middle of it, it will tell me it cannot be downloaded.
What is it??
Short of wiping my entire computer (which I can't do because of programs I have) I do not know what else to do.

Advertisements

Streetkt

Streetkt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

FYI.. I also ran malware program and antivirus in safe mode. Picked up nothing.

Totally frustrated at this point.

I cant even download any other programs to test other areas

I will lose my Microsoft office academic if I wipe the computer and wont be able to get it back, so I need to find a fix without wiping it

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   Streetkt,

See if you are able to do the following for us;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Tip

Please do not reply to your own OP or last reply as it may lead to your request for help being overlooked, staff and members who assist on the forums will always check out a topic that has not received any replies to see if they are able to help, if you reply to your own OP it will appear to others viewing the board that you have received a reply and so are already being helped.

Streetkt

Streetkt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Here you go:

http://speccy.pirifo...zz4ueD1jegDS6vm

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
From your OP;

The download will come up, then in the middle of it, it will tell me it cannot be downloaded. 

Nothing to say that this is related to your internet connection, browser or security settings and after looking at your Speccy log I would suggest checking out your internal HDD as it is shown to be overheating, this could be causing the HDD to malfunction when under load such as downloading data to it;

The things from your Speccy report that may explain the download problem;

The HDD Temperature Range: Warning (50 °C to 55 °C) your HDD when not even under load is 52 °C

The output on the +12 V rail of your PSU is reading as being 13.440 V, the max is 12.600 V, the extra voltage could be what is heating up the HDD.

What I would suggest that you do;

Disconnect all of the following devices when not in use so as to ease the load on the PSU;

149GB Seagate External Drive USB Device (USB)
954MB Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 USB Device (USB)
29GB Lexar USB Flash Drive USB Device (USB)
1GB Multiple Flash Reader USB Device (USB)

Download and run the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows from here, do the short test first and then the extended second, if the drive fails the short test it will most likely fail the extended test in no time at all.

I also noted the following in your Speccy report;

Windows 7 Installation Date: 7/26/2010 6:59:47 PM

Partition 2
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #2
Disk Letter: C:
File System: NTFS
Volume Serial Number: 54447CC3
Size: 917 GB
Used Space: 91 GB (10%)
Free Space: 825 GB (90%)

Can you tell us if this HDD has always been in this computer and how you have managed to use so little storage space after more than five years of use.

Streetkt

Streetkt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
✓  Best Answer
Never changed the Hd. Always been the same one. I use my external Hd to save my documents and photos.

Streetkt

Streetkt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks for the help...  Its been driving me bananas.. so I finally just wiped it last night.  Guessing its dying a slow death, so I will order a new computer and use this one as a back up.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome and thank you for the follow up  :thumbsup:

NB: Let us know if you change your mind with troubleshooting the problem computer.