Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can not format hard drive in Dell 610 Laptop

• Please log in to reply

louharv1

louharv1

• Pip
  • 1 posts

My hard drive in this lap top is almost filled up and I want to change the hard drive to a larger one. I do have a Winows XP pro disc, but when it gets to the point of installing the OS I get the message that it cannot format the partition.  The hard drive I am trying to use is a used 100 gig hard drive that was installed in a Vista OS. Of the three options all come back with the can not format the partition message. Can anyone help me throught this problem?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Are you booting the CD or running it from a booted XP system?

Any other partitions on the drive? If not, try deleting all the existing partition then create a new one that spans the entire disk then format it, see if that works.

Any other disks connected? If so, disconnect them leaving only the 100GB disk you want to format.