I've got an older Windows XP machine that I'd like to use with Linux. My uses are primarily web browsing, e-mail and office applications. I installed Linux 14.04 a few days ago, and I'm disappointed that it's running very slowly (screen refresh is sort of jerky and takes longer than seems reasonable. Don't know if the Linux performance is hampered by my elderly hardware. I'd like to reuse as much of what I have as I can for an upgrade, but I'm open to changing as much as it takes - and cheaper is better.
Here's what I've got:
- Antec mid-tower case with an Antec SU-380 power supply.
- AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Socket 939 CPU
- DDR400 PC3200 CL3 1G/64x8 RAM times 4
- Seagate Barracuda 1000GB hard drive
- e-GeForce 7200GS PCI-E board for DVI output
- DVD reader/writer
- Floppy drive (Wow!)
So how do you think I should proceed?