Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Won't start after AVG CheckDisk Mod

AVG

• Please log in to reply

Putooi

Putooi

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello, not sure if I'm in the right area. 

AVG had a trial one-time fix for their PC Clean Up (Tune-Up?) program. I ran the program. My AVG panel popped up and there was a yellow with a few issues to be resolved. One was for Windows 8 never having maintenance. I am using Windows 10 (hate it). I had a moment of brain disconnect and said, "Sure, run the disc doctor." Well,the computer needed a restart, so I restarted. It got stuck scanning at 11%. So I used my husband's computer to Google the issue. Found an answer on the AVG tech forum. Let it go for a full hour (their suggestion) before giving up and doing a hard shutdown. Followed the advice to restart and repeatedly hit space bar to bypass the scan on start-up. That worked, I was up and going. The second part of their equation was to download the tool CheckDisk Mod the link is ( DO NOT OPEN, DOWNLOADS IMMEDIATELY - just inserting in case you've come across it before) www.avg.com/filedir/util/CheckDisk_mod.exe (DO NOT OPEN - IT DOWNLOADS IMMEDIATELY!) 

I went to the link, clicked continue (step three of four) and waited for the message Work Done. This was to disable the scan on startup - so they say.

Computer was fine. Decided to play a game of Solitaire, games wouldn't open. I could click the selection from the start menu, but it acted like I'd done nothing. Figured I reboot computer. 

Selected restart, computer shut down, blue light on computer lit up, no whirring noises like when it usually starts, monitor power light stays yellow (it's obviously not seeing that the computer is on - black screen - obviously). I shut down again, waited a minute and pressed the button again. No whirring, I think the fan is running, but no start-up whirs, no BIOS, monitor still doesn't register computer is on.

Please tell me I didn't hose my computer by running that application.

Diane

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Hello Putooi,

Welcome to Geekstogo.

The second part of their equation was to download the tool CheckDisk Mod the link is ( DO NOT OPEN, DOWNLOADS IMMEDIATELY - just inserting in case you've come across it before) www.avg.com/filedir/util/CheckDisk_mod.exe (DO NOT OPEN - IT DOWNLOADS IMMEDIATELY!)

I am wondering if your computer is trying to run chkdsk.

Chkdsk runs at startup and typically starts with a black screen with some words on it. It runs through a number of routines and at times the computer appears to be doing nothing. It can take a long time. :)

Try restarting the machine and see if some words come up on the black screen. If they do, let it run its course, as I said it may take a while... even an hour or two.

Come back and tell me what happened.