Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SSD Not Recognized After Power Outage

• Please log in to reply

Quartz

Quartz

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I always use a batter backup for my computer. The battery in the backup went dead & before the new one arrived, the power went off and now my computer won't recognize my Samsung SSD. What can I do?

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

A sudden power loss is a common cause for a system to fail to recognize an SSD.

In most cases, your SSD can be returned to normal operating condition by completing a power cycle, a process that will take approximately one hour.

1.      Once you have the drive connected and sitting idle, simply power on the computer and wait for 20 minutes.you don't use the computer during this process.

2.      Power the computer down and disconnect the drive from the power connector for 30 seconds.

3.      Reconnect the drive, and repeat steps 1 and 2 one more time.

4.      Reconnect the drive normally, and boot the computer to your operating system.

5.      If the latest firmware has not been updated to your drive, do so.  You can find our firmware update page