Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows crash

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I upgraded to windows 10, and with in the first day it crashed my system. it started going into a start up repair loop where i could do nothing but keep restarting, then I shut it off in the middle of repairing and that was a wrap..... now I got the blue screen that says select an option, nothing I do there works I cant repair, get to safe mode, reset to factory settings nothing runs all the way through.

• Operating System
    Windows® 8
  • System Specs
    Alienware 18
  • Country
    United States
    United States

any ideas?

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

How did you upgrade from win 8? It is available for win 7/8.1?

Hashaboo

Hashaboo

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

what the blue screen says?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You can upgrade from Windows 8, just not via Windows Update. You have to use the Media Creation Tool.

Is your computer backed up, either an image backup or the important data backed up?

Did Windows 10 activate okay after the upgrade? If so you can try doing a Clean Install of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool to download and create a flash drive to install from.

See here: Windows 10 - Clean Install

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • 4,649 posts

none of my backups were found, but win 10 did activate and ran just fine until it got stuck in the repair loop. Ill try the clean install and let you know.

thanks  

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • 4,649 posts

no dice, when i try to get to the usb port i get a " system doesn't have any usb boot option "

here are some pictures of what I'm  working with, I took them with my cell phone so there not the best. 

boot.jpg

option.jpg

advanced.jpg

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

no dice, when i try to get to the usb port i get a " system doesn't have any usb boot option "

maybe the usb you created will be listed under hard drives and not usb boot on the boot options choices.

:popcorn:

after thought :- also make sure to install the usb stick first and then boot up the pc.

Edited by terry1966, 09 September 2015 - 08:57 AM.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • 4,649 posts

yeh no luck yet, I used command prompt to restart in safe-mode, but still get the blue option screen where nothing I do works right. My next guess is to find another pc with win 10 and make a repair disc, and see if I can run it. 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

what you may need to do is disable fast start or whatever win 10 calls it, then on start up tap or hold down the key that brings up your boot options, (have heard holding down the correct key (F12 etc.) and then hitting the power on button is a work around to turning off fast start in windows to get to the boot options menu, never tried it myself but something worth trying first i guess.) there you should see the usb drive listed under hard drives and boot from it, doubt you'd need to turn off secure boot or/and use legacy boot options in uefi/bios but that might also be something to look into if it still won't boot.

http://www.tenforums...ndows-10-a.html

assuming of course you made it correctly in the first place and it is actually a bootable usb stick. :D

Edited by terry1966, 09 September 2015 - 02:52 PM.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • 4,649 posts

wow just pushing buttons and trying to figure this out, i came up with something new...... anyone know what this is before i start researching it?

Attached Thumbnails

• new pic.jpg

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

ERROR CODE 2000-01 42
looks like an oem manufacturers hard drive test error and is showing your hard drive as bad.

https://in.answers.y...15101635AASyHQ7

http://en.community....3534/t/19566414

http://en.community....3518/t/19651815

doesn't look like good news anyway.

found this that might offer some hope.

First, get the DATA like classic says...then

it sounds like when you put the windows disk in, you failed to set the Bios Boot to CD-ROM first. This will make your PC see the windows disk on boot up. Have windows in the disk tray when you do this and when you F10 to start and save, it will ask you too press any key to load windows. Only do this once. (forgive me if you know all this about how to format properly) (post before you try if you need help)

Worth a try after you save your stuff and if it loads windows without error, then the HDD is still OK and you only had a major confliction happen.

http://www.pcguide.c...indows-properly

so might be worth trying to delete the os partition and then format it again and try the clean install of win 10.

Edited by terry1966, 09 September 2015 - 05:06 PM.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • 4,649 posts

i have been looking at some of the things you posted, sounds good and looks good..... but I cant use the links and downloads on the PC that is not working so that leaves me saving them to a USB  from my working PC, and I can't get to the USB to run them. I am about to throw it out the window  :yeah:

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Is USB enabled in BIOS? A Dell Alienware 18 system definitely has boot from USB capability.

Since it came with Windows 8 it must be a UEFI/GPT system. You need to create a UEFI/GPT structured flash drive to do the clean install from.

Option one or two here: USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 will help you do that.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • 4,649 posts

well after starting over and remaking the windows usb drive it boots up, I didn't do it correctly the first time. Now I have a problem running it, I have tried both normal and advanced with no luck I will post pictures where it stops running below. I believe it might have something to do with every time I start the PC it shows "Preparing Automatic Repair" it runs for a few seconds before it stops and goes to the blue screen.

Attached Thumbnails

• normalrun.jpg
  • advancerun.jpg
  • startup.jpg

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

I start the PC it shows "Preparing Automatic Repair" it runs for a few seconds before it stops and goes to the blue screen.

can you post what the error/stop command is on the blue screen and also can you get to a cmd line and use the diskpart command to show us what partitions are there on that drive.