Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem with USB

• Please log in to reply

Radesign58

Radesign58

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone! I have copied 32Gb of stuff to my USB, but when open it, it's shown in property 32 GB, however, some folders are Empty and have only about 3gb of stuff. Why some of my folders are empty? I tried with CDM then ATTRIBUTE... but nothing happened. Also with unchecking hidden files then scan USB with my antivirus program. But still nothing change. Any solution?

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

only thing i can suggest is to use diskpart to clean the usb drive, recreate the partition, format it and then try again to copy the files over and see what happens.

diskpart :- https://technet.micr...5(v=WS.10).aspx

steps to follow as listed from here :- http://www.tomshardw...-32-flash-drive

there are very few stebs all those are just making it so difficult flow these steps:-
1)go to start
2)type"cmd"
3)type"diskpart"
then write all these comands
list disk
select disk 1(replace 1 with your disk,u can check your disk by checking the size of your disk in "list disk")
clean
create partition primary
format fs=NTFS
exit

now if you find it still only copies 3GB of data across and rest of files show as empty then i'm afraid either there is something wrong with it or it may be a "fake" usb stick and only be 3GB in size and not it's claimed 32GB as shown in windows, so what it does is keep overwriting the 3GB of memory until it says everything as been copied and why you have lots of empty folders on it at the end when you try and recover your data.

:popcorn:

Hashaboo

Hashaboo

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

There are several reasons why there might really be no files on the USB stick:

• you didn't have enough permissions to read the files on the other PC
  • the files were too large for the USB stick
  • you removed the USB stick without ejecting it. The files might be cached for writing but writing has not completed yet. This depends on the operating system and on Settings of that PC

Did you try it on another pc? If it have same issue then try this,

attrib -h -r -s /s /d f:\*.*

or

attrib -h -r -s f:\*.* /s /d 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
attrib -h -r -s /s /d f:\*.*

or

attrib -h -r -s f:\*.* /s /d 

should mention "f:" is the drive letter in those commands and your usb drive may be a different letter.

more info on the attrib command :- https://technet.micr...y/Bb490868.aspx

:popcorn: