Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system build problem

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
quick question without alot of info for you.

my brother sent me a barebones pc kit that he got off of tigerdirect for me to set up. i got him a new video card, harddrive, dvd burner, and monitor. i installed all of that stuff and the thing worked beautifully.

however when i brought it to him we decided to get some more memory. well we went to bestbuy and got a gig of ram (2 512 sticks) and installed them. upon turning the computer on there was a foul smell and not much else. i quickly turned it off and checked the sticks. apparently the dufus gave me pc100 instead of 2100 like i asked for.

we put the old sticks in and tried to start the machine up again. no such luck.

fearing the motherboard was shot we purchased a new soyo dragon 2 from tiger direct. i installed it and moved the processor and everything else over to it. still no luck with turning on.

i purchased a new amd athelon processor for it and installed it. still nothing.

i tried wiping the bios by taking the battery out as suggested. didnt do anything.

the power supply is a 300 watt supply so that may be it.

so when i have everything hooked up and i turn it on the fan on the video card comes on and the processor fan comes on but the machine doesn't even attempt to go through post. if i put the old video card in then the cpu fan comes on for 2 seconds then stops.

sorry for the lack of info but im not at home right now to find it all out

Edited by dsenette, 16 August 2005 - 01:00 PM.

Advertisements

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
How in the world did you fit a PC100 (SDRAM) stick of RAM into a DDR slot?

A 300w power supply should power just about any system you build unless you start adding lights and whatnot, so that probably isn't it. If you want to test that theory, though (just for giggles), you can take out any and all cards BUT the video card and see if it boots up.

So, you replaced the CPU and motherboard and it still won't boot? No DOS beeps or anything? I know that you said the CPU and Video Card fans spin up, but if you have a spare PSU laying around you could try that one out and see if it's a power supply problem.

This is a tricky one.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
update:

over the weekend i got the piece working.

used the original MOBO with original processor attatched all the other new stuff to it and took everything out of the case (technically took everything out of the case first) pressed power button and everything went up fine...not sure if the issue was that the case was groundin or not but....whatever the case...it's working...gonna build a lexan case for the contraption and see how snazzy we can get.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea most likely a case short but I would really question a 300w psu on any new build by todays standards,

just something to think about

Rick

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right...bu that's something that he will be able to change out later..i just needed the thing to work

Edited by dsenette, 16 August 2005 - 01:01 PM.