Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot stuck on aswrvrt.sys after Windows 10 to Windows 7 revert

Windows 10 Windows 7 bsod Avast

Best Answer SleepyDude , 10 October 2015 - 09:13 AM

Hi, According with image you posted the OnChip SATA type option on the BIOS can have other values RAID, Legacy IDE, IDE -> AHCI try them all see if any of those option allow you to have th... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

kajari

kajari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

All the drives you have are sata or you have IDE's also?

SATA only as far as I know and understand. Here's a picture of my Hard Disk Drives:

20151001_182826.jpg

Can you post a screenshot of the screen related with the boot configuration?

I believe this is what you meant:

20151001_182846.jpg

By the way enable the option 32Bit Data Transfer on the devices when available, it will give you faster transfer when accessing the HDD.

Wow thanks, didn't know that! I enabled it on all the Master/Slave options.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

The boot screen above is with the Sata optio set to AHCI?

My suggestion change the boot order to 1st CD/DVD; 2nd Sata HDD

Disable the Boot Sector Virus protection option because it can block the Windows installation.

You can Enabled this option after the Windows installation when the Operating System is fully installed.

kajari

kajari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Hi,

The boot screen above is with the Sata optio set to AHCI?

My suggestion change the boot order to 1st CD/DVD; 2nd Sata HDD

Disable the Boot Sector Virus protection option because it can block the Windows installation.

You can Enabled this option after the Windows installation when the Operating System is fully installed.

No, boot screen was with SATA option set to Native IDE, but I changed it now to AHCI to try it out again. I also changed the boot order to see if it changes anything and Boot Sector Virus protection has been disabled.

I took some pictures of the boot screen and trying to run the Windows 7 installation from USB to see if it has that Repair option there.

Below you can see that AHCI is enabled.

20151002_080402.jpg

Here's the installation screen and like before, there's no Repair option and now Disk 0 Partition 3 is uninstallable although it was installable like you can see from my earlier post.

20151002_075505.jpg

Here's the Show details of Disk 0 Partition 3

20151002_075629.jpg

Like it suggests that I go to BIOS to check that the controller is enabled I noticed something strange.

This is the boot configuration screen and it doesn't show my HDD. Under Hard Disk Drives it just shows my USB flash stick that has the Windows 7 installation media.

20151002_080009.jpg

Third IDE Master no longer displays my HDD like in Native IDE.

20151002_080046.jpg

Same goes for my CDROM. Also every Master/Slave option shows Device :Not Detected.

20151002_080057.jpg

I shut down my computer, removed the Windows 7 USB stick and rebooted the computer and entered BIOS. There's no Hard Disk Drive available in boot configuration menu and under the Removable Drives are only USB: Generic drives.

20151002_080454.jpg

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

It seems you need to change the SATA ports where the HDD and DVD are connected physically, but for now you can skip this step.

From the screenshots, Windows can now see the HDD, I think that if you now boot using the Macrium Reflect rescue on a USB flash drive it should see the HDD and allow you to do the backup before we move on trying to fix the partitions.

kajari

kajari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

From the screenshots, Windows can now see the HDD, I think that if you now boot using the Macrium Reflect rescue on a USB flash drive it should see the HDD and allow you to do the backup before we move on trying to fix the partitions.

I changed nothing in BIOS after the last post. I put the Macrium Reflect rescue program on a USB flash drive and it still can't see my HDD.. It displays the USB flash as my C: drive and CD Drive as D: as you can see in the picture below.

20151003_191841.jpg

I connected my external HDD and it's listed as J: in Hard Disk Drives next to Boot (X:). I was thinking if my HDD driver was corrupt or deleted but I can access it on Ubuntu side to view my photos etc. so that's not the case, right?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

It seems that the Macrium Reflect PE disk is missing some driver for the hard disk controller you have, the Windows install disk can see it fine in AHCI mode.

Can you post the brand and model of the machine or if its OEM build post the motherboard reference.

Do you have any recovery DVD for the machine?

I'm asking this because if you have it's probably faster to copy your files using linux, delete everything from the HDD, restore the machine using the DVD and then copy your data files back.

kajari

kajari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Hi,

It seems that the Macrium Reflect PE disk is missing some driver for the hard disk controller you have, the Windows install disk can see it fine in AHCI mode.

Can you post the brand and model of the machine or if its OEM build post the motherboard reference.

System Manufacturer: Packard Bell

Product Name: iXtreme M5120

System BIOS Version: P01-A1

I think the Motherboard is Packard Bell RS740 series. Was that enough information or should I get more?

Do you have any recovery DVD for the machine?

I'm asking this because if you have it's probably faster to copy your files using linux, delete everything from the HDD, restore the machine using the DVD and then copy your data files back.

No I don't have any recovery DVD. I got this computer as the previous owner wanted a laptop. It had a clean install Windows 7 and no recovery media or anything else.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Not sure about the Country where you purchase the machine can you go to the packardbell website and type the machine Serial number to obtain the corresponding model PT.XXX-YY.ZZZ or something simillar?

kajari

kajari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Here's the model: iXtreme (PT.U23-PV.U23)

I'll also put the Serial Number here just in case you need it: PTU230X0139290A6BF2700

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Here's the model: iXtreme (PT.U23-PV.U23)

I'll also put the Serial Number here just in case you need it: PTU230X0139290A6BF2700

They only provide drivers for AMD AHCI for Windows Vista to located the correct driver we will need the Hardware ID of the Controller...

Just something I remember now, create a Macrium Reflect rescue disk using the linux option to see if the tool can access the HDD and create the backup.

Advertisements

kajari

kajari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Just something I remember now, create a Macrium Reflect rescue disk using the linux option to see if the tool can access the HDD and create the backup.

When I open Reflect program and on the top left corner choose Other Tasks-->Create Rescue Media There's only Change PE Version option and it allows me to choose between Windows PE 3.1, 4.0 or 5.0. Do I need to download Reflect and create Rescue Media on Ubuntu side or is it possible to do on Windows version of the software? Or should I reinstall the program if it allows me to choose between Linux and Windows?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

When I open Reflect program and on the top left corner choose Other Tasks-->Create Rescue Media There's only Change PE Version option and it allows me to choose between Windows PE 3.1, 4.0 or 5.0. Do I need to download Reflect and create Rescue Media on Ubuntu side or is it possible to do on Windows version of the software? Or should I reinstall the program if it allows me to choose between Linux and Windows?

Sorry my mistake this one doesn't have a linux version.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Try with the AOMEI Backupper Standard this one can create a Linux boot disk and also Windows PE but the Windows version most likely will have the same problem with the driver missing.

kajari

kajari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Try with the AOMEI Backupper Standard this one can create a Linux boot disk and also Windows PE but the Windows version most likely will have the same problem with the driver missing.

I created and booted the Linux rescue disk. I have a picture from every option you can see below.

20151006_074353.jpg

Here's the Disk Clone option and it only shows my USB flash stick.

20151006_074406.jpg

System Clone doesn't recognize my OS which at this point doesn't surprise me.

20151006_074429.jpg

Partition Clone shows only the taken space I assume. My HDD is 1 TB total. I think that the J: partition is what's supposed to be my C: and K: is supposed to be my D: partition(I changed my CD/DVD to E: when I split the HDD). The other two I have no idea.

20151006_074450.jpg

Could the partitions be recovered even though they're separately copied?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

I realize now that they removed the Backup option from the Linux Rescue on recent versions...

You need to use the Windows version, if it can't access the HDD then we have to find the correct driver to add...

The option you need to use is Backup and not Clone, only the Backup option allow the creation of an disk image to the external disk.