Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't boot with fans spinning and led turn on for a few second

Pc wont boot Fans spinning

• Please log in to reply

Rahulz

Rahulz

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi would appreciate if anyone could help me here. I have got my custom build pc for 2 years now and in January I encountered the problem with the pc unable to boot with the fans spinning and led turning for a few seconds when I press the power button. The process would repeat itself until I turn off the psu switch. I sent my pc for repair in January and they changed my motherboard and ram and the pc was working fine again. Now I am encountering the exact same problem and would like to know what the issue is as taking it to the repair shop is a huge hassle. Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Did your power supply Unit good? check whether the fans in the Psu working when you switch on the pc?

Rahulz

Rahulz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The PSU fan spun for like 1 second before stopping and repeating the same process. Does this show that the PSU could be faulty?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

:welcome:   Rahulz,

Let us know if you still require assistance with this.

Tip
To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

Rahulz

Rahulz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Just sent my power supply in and they showed me on their pc test bench that it actually boot with my power supply connected. They still told me that they will still run some tests to really ensure whether that the the power supply is faulty or not and get back to me in a few days. I am worried now that if my power supply isn't the problem what else could be affecting my PC? Any suggestions?

Note: I am running a Corsair TX650M power supply and it has a fan that spins only when the power supply gets hot hence using the paper clip trick to check if the Psu is the problem is not actually reliable.

Thanks in advance for taking your time to answer my question. I am new and the community here so far is very friendly!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello Rahulz,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you  :(

Let us know if your PSU checked out as being ok and we will take it from there if needs be.

The PSU fan spun for like 1 second before stopping and repeating the same process. Does this show that the PSU could be faulty? 

Things that can cause such behaviour include a faulty case switch (power on or reset button) a system short, a loose power connection and an incorrectly seated memory stick or add on card.

Rahulz

Rahulz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for your reply! I am still waiting for news of my PSU. Once I get it back as per your suggestions, I will try to turn on my PC without the case switch and reseat my video card, wireless card and memory sticks.

Thanks again for spending your time in helping me.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

You are welcome and thank you for the update  :thumbsup:

Rahulz

Rahulz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Okay currently i am typing this message from my PC. I have got my PSU back and place everything back together however, the first time i power on my PC the same thing happen again. It took me a couple of tries of turning on/off my PSU and pressing my power button to get my PC to boot. I dont think the problem has been resolved as my computer also froze when i got it to boot and restarted itself back like in the past. Now everything seems to be working fine but i think the problem will come back to haunt me soon. I will update you guys if anything happened.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

We`ll be here  :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Rahulz

Rahulz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

So this is the second day update for me. In the morning, i tried to turn on my PC again and the same problem occured again! The only way i got my PC to boot was to keep switching my PSU on and off to stop the reboot cycle and press the power button again. After about 9 tries, my PC finally boot. Does anyone know what could be the main problem here because my PC seems to be working fine right now. What can i do to get a normal boot so i dont have to keep repeating the same booting process everyday?

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Things that can cause such behaviour include a faulty case switch (power on or reset button) a system short, a loose power connection and an incorrectly seated memory stick or add on card. 

Adding another point to what phillpower2 said, is that try to clear your CMOS, by removing the CMOS battery in the motherboard,

To do that,

• First switch off your pc.
  • Remove the CMOS battery.
  1. If your computer is using a coin cell battery, removing the battery is relatively simple. Use your fingers to grab on the edge of the battery and pull it up and out of the socket holding it in place. Some motherboards have a clip holding the battery down. If your computer's motherboard has this clip, you may need to use one hand to move the clip up and the other hand to pull the battery out.
  2. Unfortunately, not all CMOS batteries are removable. Some manufacturers only allow a replacement battery to be added. If your computer does not have a coin cell battery refer to your documentation or contact your computer manufacturer for further assistance.
  3. If your computer's motherboard does not have a removable battery you need to set a jumper on the motherboard to install the new battery.

c00393650.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Can you post the brand and model name or number for both the MB and your case please Rahulz.

Rahulz

Rahulz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried to reset the bios by taking out the CMOS battery and putting it back and now the PC does not even show any sign of booting. Nothing happens when I press the power button at all.

My motherboard is a MSI Z77A-G43 and my case is a Cooler Master HAF 912

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

I would suggest that a barebones set-up is done outside of the case, only do this if you are confident enough to do so and follow the steps provided to the letter, any questions along the way please ask before continuing, see my canned text below;

Disconnect all power cords from the computer,ground yourself on a metal part of the chassis or PSU  remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the MBs video port to the screen (any add on video card must be physically removed from the MB), 1 stick of Ram in dimm slot 1 and the keyboard.

As your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header (see attachment below) to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, and continually ground yourself on a metal part of the chassis or PSU before handling any hardware.

Your MB does not have an onboard BIOS speaker which often helps with troubleshooting hardware problems, see attachment below, consider obtaining one of these.