Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost in installing W8.1 on a new desktop pc

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
i have all working but am lost with the new desktop. (I have been on XP.)

How do I install GOOGLE? Where is the bar where I used to type www.google.com? How do I install a URL now?

What is the app that makes W8.1 look like XP?

many thanks. ...bat park

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Get Classic Shell, then things will start to look and feel more normal again.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
Ztruker: thanks for the link to Classic Shell. I will download it as soon as I learn how to call up a URL. Right now I am stuck -- not able to retrieve ANY URL.

WHERE on the W8.1 screens do I enter the Classic Shell URL? For that matter, please tell me how I retrieve Google. What is the equivalent of inserting www.google.com in the XP address bar?

Batpark

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You have to start Internet Explorer first. Then you can enter the url into the address bar as you did in XP.

Press the Windows key next to the Left Ctrl key, tyype internet explorer and press Enter to start it.

IEAddBar.jpg

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Thank you all for your help. Little by little I am finding my way around W8.1.

For whatever use it may be to others ... I want to record a great experience I had with the Dell Support group.My new PC is a Dell.

Somehow I heard about 1-877-790-3355, the so-called Dell conceirge service (that helps new purchasers). I called for help on a detail re downloading Firefox and was connected within seconds. A rep took over my system and then spent at least 20 minutes in "updating" my system -- eliminating dozens of files to "make your system run better" -- and then doing the Firefox download for me. It was the best session of its kind I have ever had.

.... batpark