Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Fails to Boot Up

Hardware

• Please log in to reply

davidk1973

davidk1973

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a hardware issue. My original power supply failed on me, heard a loud pop and computer shut down. I read that the sound is a compacitor had blown. So got an RMA from the power supply and it's getting processed. I got tired of waiting and bought a new power supply. So plugged everything in and now it starts to boot and then shuts down in a split second. I only notice my video card and a few of the fans start up but stop. I see power light on mb is lite up. The pc will only try to boot up once. If I try to boot up again it doesn't do anything. Only when I switch off the power supply then turn back on will it try to boot up. I'm not sure which hardware is at fault. It could be mb, memory, processor, maybe even graphics card. My specs are as follows:

Intel i5 3570k
650 watt corsair power supply
GeForce gtx 980
Gigabyte z77x-ud3h
1 ssd
2 hard drives
1 blu-ray burner
4 sticks of corsair ddr memory 16 gb total

If you need anything else, just ask.

David

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   davidk1973,

Any error code showing on the MBs Debug LED?

I only notice my video card and a few of the fans start up but stop

Does the CPU cooling fan move at all, if not, have you checked that the CPU cooling fan is still connected to the header on the MB

If the cooling fan is still connected, with the computer disconnected from the mains wall socket do the following and get back to us with an update;

Press the power on button to get rid of any residual charge in the system.

Remove the add on video card and the 4 sticks of Ram.

Disconnect the SSD, the two HDDs and the BR burner.

Insert one stick of Ram in slot 1 on the MB - the one nearest the edge of the MB.

Connect your screen to one of the MBs own video ports.

Check that the 24 and 8 pin power supply connections are securely in place on the MB.

Connect the mains power, power up and test.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.