Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook express and Microsoft Outlook

• Please log in to reply

estople

estople

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Thank you Estople for a marvellous first post. Modifying the registry key did the trick in persuading windows to reinstall Outlook Express properly. Somehow it also made Microsoft Outlook load now, without the CD... it just starts now.  :yeah:

;) Thanks! I've been lurking here like forever, and this is the first thing I felt I could help with.

Weird! :tazz: Does Microsoft know about this? They mustn't because it's the only update still appearing in the "express microsoft update" scan. And to be honest, I've had these problems with the programs not loading WAY before that KB897715 appeared. I guess if you say so though, I'll ignore it.

Microsoft has not announced anything about KB897715, and I've seen it work OK on XP Home. My only problems with it have been on Win2K, and the symptoms were not as you've described. My OE problem was fixed with the method I outlined, but I learned enough along the way (including and Emergency Repair), that I knew it would solve yours, too. Outlook now working is a bonus, I had no idea that would happen. :help:

One small problem though. I followed your advice as follows:  yet the settings do seem to have been lost, and there's no connection to the internet with Outlook Express or Microsoft Outlook. :help: When I start OE I get the following Dial-up connection dialogue box:  I hit cancel because the "connect to:" drop-down box is empty, and got the following message:

Could someone please explain what I need to enter (and where) so I can connect them back properly?

Chances are that one or more of your prior machinations destroyed the connection settings. Now you can call the ISP help desk. The server names and port numbers that need to be entered into Outlook's and OE's Properties' dialogs should be on the tips of their tongues. If your friends are like mine, they didn't write any of that stuff down. :help: Just tell 'em you had to reinstall OE and your settings are all gone, they should be able to walk you through the solution. Unfortunately, we can't; those names and numbers are specific to each ISP, sorry. They're probably not open today, though... ;) Have a nice 4th!

Advertisements

estople

estople

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
OK, a little further investigation has revealed a method for getting KB897715 safely installed. I think. ;)

First, switch from Windows Update to Microsoft Update. ( :tazz: Thanks, Geeks To Go!) To learn how, go here:

http://www.geekstogo...te_-t32847.html

Then hide the KB897715 update. MSUp will complain, ignore it. Run whatewver updates are left and restart. Return to MSUp and "Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 SP1 (KB823353)" should appear in the list. Apply this update and restart. Return to MSUp, unhide KB897715 and apply. Restart.

:help: NOTE: All those restarts may not be necessary, I'm pretty anal. ;)

KB823353 raises OE to version 6.00.2800.1123, though it leaves inetcom.dll and msoe.dll behind in their revision levels (14xx versus 1506). KB897715 does not increase OE's revision, just these two files. Apparently those files won't work unless KB823353 is installed first.

BTW, I would imagine there is a method for manually applying KB823353 without using MSUp or if the steps I've outlined here don't work for you. Learn how and more about KB823353 at http://www.microsoft...n/ms04-018.mspx

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

If your friends are like mine, they didn't write any of that stuff down. :help: Just tell 'em you had to reinstall OE and your settings are all gone, they should be able to walk you through the solution.

Well, finally the Outlook Express is up and running. *sigh* PHEW!!!! It appears that I'm (just ever so slightly) more organised than I previously thought. Admidst the "pigsty" of papers, stick-it notes and CDs I found a scrawl at the bottom of one of the piles with the mailserver info, and the username and password left there from a year or 2 ago!. :help:

;) Have a nice 4th!

Oh yeah, that's right! All you Yanks are setting off fireworks and waving the flags today. I was over there to see that a few Summers back. Good craic alright. :help: Have a good one!

Well, in that case I don't expect a reply anytime soon, but I'll ask it in any case. :yeah:

First, switch from Windows Update to Microsoft Update. Then hide the KB897715 update. MSUp will complain, ignore it. Run whatewver updates are left and restart. Return to MSUp and "Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 SP1 (KB823353)" should appear in the list. Apply this update and restart. Return to MSUp, unhide KB897715 and apply. Restart.

I'm already ahead of you, and in the express updates the only update available is KB897715. And I'm 99.999% sure that the only updates I've made in recent times have been numbered KB89xxxx or KB88xxxx. If I have installed KB823353 it's been so long ago I can't remember it. And when you say "hide the KB897715 update" do you mean uncheck it in the list of updates to be dl'ed and installed? Because, since it's the only update, the only other option is to close microsoft update then, if you get me?

it leaves inetcom.dll and msoe.dll behind in their revision levels (14xx versus 1506). KB897715 does not increase OE's revision, just these two files. Apparently those files won't work unless KB823353 is installed first.

How do I find out which updates have already been installed, and whether I need to install KB823353?

One last question; regarding the other "custom" scan there was 2 other options available for dl which I'm not sure whether I need them.

Root Certificates Update, and, Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1

How do you determine if you need these?

Sorry about the long posts... this threads turning into a bit of a novel! :tazz: ;)

estople

estople

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Oh yeah, that's right! All you Yanks are setting off fireworks and waving the flags today.

OK, now its my turn to ;) I should have known you were one of the Queen's subjects, your English is so impeccable. :tazz:

I'm already ahead of you, and in the express updates the only update available is KB897715. And I'm 99.999% sure that the only updates I've made in recent times have been numbered KB89xxxx or KB88xxxx. If I have installed KB823353 it's been so long ago I can't remember it.  And when you say "hide the KB897715 update" do you mean uncheck it in the list of updates to be dl'ed and installed? Because, since it's the only update, the only other option is to close microsoft update then, if you get me?
How do I find out which updates have already been installed, and whether I need to install KB823353?

[Start] [Settings] [Control Panel] [Add or Remove Programs] The KB hotfixes you have installed should be near the end of the list. I'm at work right now so I can't offer you a screen shot, XP doesn't list the hotfixes this way.

Alternately, you can compare the file version numbers you have to those supplied by KB823353. Here is a list of the file versions for OE if KB823353 has been installed:

Date         Time   Version            Size    File name
--------------------------------------------------------------
03-Mar-2003  23:57  6.0.2800.1123      75,776  Directdb.dll
07-Jun-2004  21:19  6.0.2800.1441     596,480  Inetcomm.dll
11-Oct-2002  22:08  6.0.2800.1123      47,616  Inetres.dll
03-Mar-2003  23:57  6.0.2800.1123      44,032  Msident.dll
03-Mar-2003  23:57  6.0.2800.1123      56,832  Msimn.exe
26-May-2004  21:26  6.0.2800.1437   1,175,040  Msoe.dll
03-Mar-2003  23:57  6.0.2800.1123     228,864  Msoeacct.dll
11-Oct-2002  22:09  6.0.2800.1123   2,479,616  Msoeres.dll
03-Mar-2003  23:57  6.0.2800.1123      91,136  Msoert2.dll
03-Mar-2003  23:57  6.0.2800.1123      93,184  Oeimport.dll
03-Mar-2003  23:57  6.0.2800.1123      55,808  Oemig50.exe
03-Mar-2003  23:57  6.0.2800.1123      31,744  Oemiglib.dll
03-Mar-2003  23:57  6.0.2800.1123      42,496  Wab.exe
24-Jun-2004  21:26  6.0.2800.1450      463,360 Wab32.dll
03-Mar-2003  23:57  6.0.2800.1123      30,208  Wabfind.dll
03-Mar-2003  23:57  6.0.2800.1123      77,824  Wabimp.dll
03-Mar-2003  23:57  6.0.2800.1123      27,648  Wabmig.exe
;) Thanks to Microsoft @ http://www.microsoft...n/ms04-018.mspx

You can see the version numbers of your installed files in Windows Explorer by browsing to C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\, selecting [View] [Details] (skip if this is your default view format), right clicking on the column title bar, selecting [More...], checking [Product Version] (both are all the way at the bottom of the lists) and finally [OK]. If the versions shown there are lower than those given above, you need KB823353.

One last question; regarding the other "custom" scan there was 2 other options available for dl which I'm not sure whether I need them.
How do you determine if you need these?

Root Certificates Update, and, Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1

Both are nice things to have; RCU provides authentication for secure web sites, and .NET FW allows you to run independent software written using it. V1.1 has bug and security fixes everyone should have. In short, yes, you should install them.

estople

estople

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
:tazz: Ack. I just had an epiphany. Of course you need KB823353, you just reinstalled OE. If MSUp doesn't behave for you as I describe in my previous post, apply the hotfix manually by browsing to:

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Once that's done, let MSUp apply KB897715.

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

OK, now its my turn to  ;) I should have known you were one of the Queen's subjects, your English is so impeccable.  :tazz:

*sucks air between teeth* I'll have to let you off on this point since I've neglected to include my location as Ireland. YARRR!!! there's been wars ya know!!! :yeah:
...Pity my English is better than my Irish! :help:

:help: Ack. I just had an epiphany. Of course you need KB823353, you just reinstalled OE. If MSUp doesn't behave for you as I describe in my previous post, apply the hotfix manually by browsing to:

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Once that's done, let MSUp apply KB897715.

manually installed KB823353... CHECK!
MSUp dl and install KB897715... CHECK!

...So far so good!

Both are nice things to have; RCU provides authentication for secure web sites, and .NET FW allows you to run independent software written using it. V1.1 has bug and security fixes everyone should have. In short, yes, you should install them.

I included these while downloading KB897715, but when it prompted a restart I saw a brief "red X" and the word "unsuccessful" very quickly while shutting IE down before I had a chance to see while update failed. I restarted and MSUp still indicated I needed .NET Framework version 1.1, so I installed again and restarted. But, although the installation history indicated that .NET Framework version 1.1 was successfully installed twice at this stage, it still says I need the update, and I cannot select the box to ignore/hide the update in future scans.

Btw, the .NET Framework version 1.1 thing isn't a big problem at all so feel free to forget that part, since it was just my email program that I wanted back in the first place; which I now have, along with all the neccessary updates. Thank you very much everyone who helped, and particularly estople whose advice was bang on the mark. ;) :help:

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

:tazz: Thanks to the Elder Geek - http://www.theelderg...ie_and_oe_6.htm

I've actually just realised that this link you posted might hold the answer to a problem I've had with IE.

If you are having problems only with Internet Explorer 6, proceed as follows:

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.
Data Type: DWORD // Value Name: IsInstalled
Setting for Value Data: [Change the Value from 1 to 0]
Exit Registry

Although I use Firefox now, and MSUp is the ONLY thing that opens IE any more, it still bothers me the way the window show in the taskbar but won't open when clicked. The only way to open it is to right click and maximise. But then, the "restore down" button doesn't work, it minimizes to the taskbar instead. ;)

Since I seem to have a clean machine, and I had previously tried to reinstall IE without success solving this issue, I can only assume that since your advice (estople) worked for Outlook Express, that it will work for IE too.

[edit: just realised I'll lose all the settings on IE like I did with OE, so I'll wait till someone explains how I can save them (for eg: bookmarks, stuff like that) and what where to navigate to and what's necessary to reconnect when it's reinstalled.]

Edited by Caine, 06 July 2005 - 09:45 AM.

estople

estople

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

*sucks air between teeth* I'll have to let you off on this point since I've neglected to include my location as Ireland. YARRR!!! there's been wars ya know!!!

:tazz: Ack. In my defense, one of my best buds is from Galway (the county, not the city), and I guarantee you that I'm one of the few "Yanks" that knows what it means to use the words "Bushmills" and "Purple" in the same sentence. Erin go Bragh, Caine, my apologies.

[edit: just realised I'll lose all the settings on IE like I did with OE, so I'll wait till someone explains how I can save them (for eg: bookmarks, stuff like that) and what where to navigate to and what's necessary to reconnect when it's reinstalled.]

Actually, you should be alright, after I reinstalled OE using my method all my settings came right back. I believe your prior attempts at fixes probably destroyed those settings before I got to you.

Still, we should err on the side of caution. You can use IE's native Import/Export Wizard to recover your favorites and cookies. Start IE, [File] [Import and Export...] You'll have to run in twice, once for cookies, once for favorites. The other connection settings are actually maintained separately by the OS and shouldn't be affected by an IE reinstall.