Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP can not find dchp server

• Please log in to reply

jayraydog

jayraydog

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is going to be a little complicated.
I have a DSL connection to Zoomtown through a Cell Pipe router. My Win 98 works like a dream. As a favor I brought over a friends PC with XP to "clean it up". It was loaded with spyware, adware, and virus software.

At first I was able to plug in the cable from the router to the new XP and get it up and running on the internet no trouble. Somewhere along the lines the ability to connect using the LAN broke. I had just installed the latest ZoneAlarm and Norton Anti Virus as well as AdAwareSE and had run all the checks and selected the "clean it all up" button. Now, if I type in ipconfig /all I get 169.254.x.y and a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 which is the autoconfig when it cn't find the dhcp server.

One of the spyware files was lspak.dll which affected the winsock registry keys. I ran lspfix and deleted the 2 keys for winsock and winsock2, rebooted and reinstalled the TCP/IP from Windows/inf.

I have since unintstalled ZoneAlarm but when I run ipconfig /renew I still get "Unable to contact your DHCP server"

Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi jayraydog, welcome to GTG! <_<

Download and run this tool, WinsockXPfix

jayraydog

jayraydog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
My thanks on the quick response by the way. I've been working on this thing for over a week now.

Okay, did the winsockfix exe, still no joy. Any ideas on what to try next?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'd suggest a repair installation of XP.

Click here: -> http://www.geekstogo...p?showtopic=138

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
When your pc tries to obtain an IP via DHCP, it sends a broadcast out to all the DHCP servers on the same subnet, and then they reply and your pc will then pick one and then the Server will then acknowledge that and issue you one. Some firewalls will alert you that your pc is trying to broadcast when it tries to get an ip. If you said no to your firewall, then you won't be able obtain an address because you are not allowing your pc to broadcast. It will then revert to Automatic IP Addressing (if it is configured to do so) and give you an address like 169.254.x.y subnet 255.255.0.0, but no Gateway. I would disable the firewall, run a cmd prompt
then type ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew and the type ipconfig /all and check the address of your DHCP server tell the firewall to allow traffic. I bet that will work.

-=jonnyrotten=-

Edited by -=jonnyrotten=-, 20 September 2004 - 09:57 AM.

sloany1967

sloany1967

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I agree with Johnny here... This is exactly what I advise colleagues to do in this situation. If this doesn't work... I'd give the machine a static IP address within the same range then try adding it to DHCP. Also.. Depending on the config of the DHCP server I'd check my DNS address are right when applying the static ip before changing it.

Cheers.

Iain.