Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Photo jpegs are becoming corrupt

photo jpeg corrupt

• Please log in to reply

CalicaCJA

CalicaCJA

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hi – I’m looking for some assistance.

I have a problem with some of my photos (jpegs) on the computer. They have always been stored on an external USB hard drive in folders, and used to be fine. Then a while ago I put them are on an NAS drive so they could be accessed by all our computers. This was ok until some started to become corrupt – colours would be mixed up or large portions of the image became just one colour.

This seems to happen randomly with some images in a folder, whether I view them with Windows Explorer or Windows Photo Gallery. It started happening when the computers were running Windows 7 – they’re now on Windows 10 and it still happens.  It happens when I view them across the network or on images directly on the computers internal drive.

Most of the damaged images look damaged when you view the thumbnail in Windows Explorer. A few thumbnails look fine until you open the image up, then you can see it’s corrupted. Most of the time when you open a folder, the images look fine for a split second when they first appear, then they corrupt.

It is now getting to the stage where I am too worried to actually view my photos as I don’t want to damage any more.

It has been happening on at least 3 separate Win 10 desktop PCs. Virus scans come up clean. It has also happened with images taken on a digital camera, smartphone and actual photos scanned into the computer.

I have attached some images as examples.

Any ideas why this is happening would be much appreciated, and any suggestions how I can repair damaged photos.

Thank you

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20141209_0009.jpg
  • IMG_20141209_0005.jpg
  • WP_20140823_025.jpg
  • WP_20140823_055.jpg

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Did you try Disk check in that hard disk?

connect it to the pc and note it drive name for ex.) D:

First Go to start--> In search box type "cmd.exe" (without quotes)-->in list appear as cmd.exe-->right click on it-->run as administrator--> it shows like C:\Windows\system32> and type D: and press enter then type command chkdsk /f /r and press enter

CalicaCJA

CalicaCJA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hi, thanks for the response - I have now disk checked all drives. No errors were found, but no new images have been corrupt as yet, so fingers crossed!

Thank you

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

What about old ones? Did you copy the old images in flash drive and try it on another pc?