Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death [Closed]

Blue screen of death

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kaelyn_johnson77

kaelyn_johnson77

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently got a virus (i'm not sure which) and after cleaning my computer and scanning it to the best of my abilities I get this Blue Screen. I have Windows 7.20150915_173620.jpg

Advertisements

Bruce1270

Bruce1270

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,714 posts

Hello kaelyn_johnson77 and :welcome:

My name is Bruce1270 and I will be helping you with your malware problem.

Please Note: I am still in training and my fixes have to be approved by my instructor so there may be a slight delay in my replies. Look upon it as a good thing though in that you have two people looking at your problem. :)

A few things before we get started.

• Please read all instructions carefully. If there is anything you do not understand please ask me first before doing anything.
  • Please be patient. I am a volunteer who does this in my spare time so I will try to get back to you as soon as possible.
  • Please follow all instructions in the order given.
  • Please do not install any other software unless advised. This may hinder the removal process.
  • At the top of your post, please click on the "Follow this topic" button and make sure that the "Received notification" box is checked and set to "Instantly" This will send an email to you as soon as I reply to your topic, allowing us to solve your problem faster.
  • Please make sure you reply within 4 days to my responses, if there is no reply within 4 days, the topic will be closed and you will need to request the topic be reopened.

Important!

Please save or print off these instructions. Part of this fix may require you to be in safe mode where you will not be able to access the internet or my instructions!

I would strongly recommend you back up your personal data and folders before we begin.

Malware removal can be very long, complicated and may take multiple steps. I understand this may be frustrating but please stay with this topic until your machine is declared clean. The results will hopefully be very rewarding. :happy:
    As we go along please tell me how the computer is running now. Please be as descriptive as possible e.g. I'm still getting web redirects, I am unable to access the internet etc.

OK. Let's move on.

Let's see if we can get a set of logs to look at.

Here are some instructions to help you access the Recovery Environment to run a scan.

There are two options shown below. For the first, you will only need a flash drive or some such, for the second, you will need both a flash drive and a Windows Installation Disk..

If you are unable to access the Recovery Environment through the first option and have a Windows Installation disc for that machine then option two will be a good one to try.

Now

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select English as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
  • Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.

On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
    System Restore
    Windows Complete PC Restore
    Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
    Command Prompt

• Select Command Prompt
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will create a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.