Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Socket Error

• Please log in to reply

peaves

peaves

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I just got the Battlefield 2 demo and when I try to go online, it sais, "There was an error connecting a socket." But... I enabled port triggering and then it said, "There was an error listening to a socket." So I tried adding some ports to see if that helped and nothing. Does anyone know any possiblity/sollution. I want to buy Battlefield 2 next week, but not if it does this crap on me.

Advertisements

incapunisher

incapunisher

• Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz:

i had this problem as well with BATTLEFIELD 2 demo.........
after about an hour of ONLINE play......i get disconnected and when i
try to get back in it says.......

there was an error listening on a socket.

then when i logoff to desktop i CANT USE INTERNET EXPLORER ANYMORE
until i restart the computer!!!
i have done everything including reinstalling windows AND IT STILL
HAPPENS !!!
i notice problems with DAWN OF WAR ONLINE as well.

my comp is P4, 3.0, 768ram
ATI 9800 PRO
xp pro sp2
verizon DSL

THE ONLY SOLUTION WAS A HARD DISK WIPE/REINSTALL WINDOWS.

IT WORKS FINE NOW......must have been a virus or image damage.

Edited by incapunisher, 24 June 2005 - 10:56 AM.

incapunisher

incapunisher

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i had a similar problem........after i wiped my hard drive due to a crash

i reinstalled BATTLEFIELD and its working fine now......

hate to say it but i think its a virus, although the techs told me image damage.

:tazz:

Gwar

Gwar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Im having the same problem, reinstalled game and patch and it isnt fixed...

When I try to log in online it says " There was and Error listening on a socket".

Please help.

bloodsmith

bloodsmith

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys. I had the same problem with BF2 when i was creating my profile. "error connecting to socket". Its really a very simple fix- at least it was for me. For some reason when i installed BF2 my internet security system blocked it from connecting to the internet so i just went to my internet security settings(i happened to be using mcafee at the time) and clicked allow full access on BF2. Let me know if this works cause it sure saved me alot of trouble.

bwalsh999

bwalsh999

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Check this out...this worked for me for another application as well.

I have Zone Alarm to monitor all internet traffic (as well as a firewall)

Sometimes when I have problems for an application accessing the internet, I tell Zone Alarm to "allow" that application to access the internet. Somehow it clears the port (socket) that Battlefield2 is trting to access and it lets it access the internet. This is an alternative in trying to figure out which ports are open, etc....

So...if you want to try this, you will have to install zone alarm and when BF2 tries to access the internet, click "allow" and it will automatically open the necessary port...

It worked for me for this and other applications.

drewby

drewby

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
If you look at homeplay under faqs the developers and in the manual tell you the ports for tcp and udp to open and route to your computer assuming it is on a lan. BF2 also has problems with a NAT setup and DMZ states. Best to unblock these ports and possibly forward them from your router setup.

K3Y

K3Y

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had this problem ... I solved it by disabling windows fire wall.

It is most likely to be your firewall causing the problem.