Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

COMPUTER RESTARTS WHILE INSTALLING XP

• Please log in to reply

confusedazn

confusedazn

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just recently built a computer for my brother...i tried to install Xp pro (OEM, includes sp2) on his comp after all the parts were assembled. During the installation phase, specifically the "Device Installation" process, the computer restarts (at the 34 minute mark). I rebooted the computer, reformatted my partition, and pressed enter to place XP Pro in that partition, it did the same thing....my computer restarted before the device installation bar was filled...idk what my problem could be...plz i need help...anyone who is reading this email me or post a reply here...either way, i need a reply wuickly since my warranty is almost over :tazz: ;) ;) basically....computer restarts while installing windows, specifically during the "device installation" process...and it does it before the "device insallation" bar is filled...this happens continuosly, all help is greatly appreciated ty

Advertisements

confusedazn

confusedazn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
almost forgot...the system specs are
*Intel LGA 775 procesor
*Maxtor 250gb SATA hd
*Nvidia Geforce 6600gt vid card (AGP8x and PCI ex compatible)
* DVD-ROM
*DVD-+RW drive
*MSI socket 775 motherboard
*SONY floppy drive

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
disable all onboard hardware in bios (video, sound, usb) as a start.

update your bios.

if you have an older videocard, try that first.

install with a ps2 mouse, instead of a usb mouse, and a ps2 keyboard, rather than a usbkeybord (if possible)

confusedazn

confusedazn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried using my old vid card...it still rebooted while installing...i was already using my PS/2 mouse and keyboard when i had that problem...also i deisabled what was said to be disabled and still..nothing...Idk wuts wrong with it...i tried installing multiple versions of XP pro2 and that didnt help...its just the same problem...the computer keeps restarting while at the installation phase of xp professional...its a fresh computer and no other operating systems have been installed on it...It was built by myself and when i tried to install XP pro the computer restarts while at the "device installation" phase...its really annoying me, i have not found a solution yet :tazz: ;) plz help..

Edited by confusedazn, 14 June 2005 - 04:16 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
bios update?

Heat? When you installed the CPU, did you use a heat compound between the cpu and heatsink? Did you perhaps attach, then remove, then reattach?

Perhaps an air pocket.

confusedazn

confusedazn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
;) ;) :tazz: HAHA...GOT MY COMPUTER TO INSTALL WINDOWS XP PRO SP2!!! no more restarts during set up..turns out the problem was not with the CPU the MOBO nor was it any sort fo hardware problem....it was all ni the BIOS....i didnt upgrade my BIOS version, i didnt need to...since my computer is intel it has the HYPER THREADING feature...I disabled that feature in the BIOS...wen i restarted the windows setup ;) it went through the device insallation phase and it was smooth sailing from there on...so thanks for the help from the Geeks TO Go squad for attempting to help me out...without ur help...gerryf without ur suggestions i may not have found out what the problems was...so thank you for that....this forum is awsome THANKS TO ALL!! :) :ph34r:

~~this might not be the last time you hear from me...becuase of course...we all know microsoft has many problems lol bye all thanks again :tazz: